Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I am a noob with Linux and I'm having an issue with installing drivers for my wireless NIC. Here's the Hardware Laptop: Toshiba A215 S4697 Distro: Linux 3.2.0-29-generic-pae i686 ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Wireless issue Toshiba A215 S4697 Wireless drivers / unable to install

Hi, I am a noob with Linux and I'm having an issue with installing drivers for my wireless NIC. Here's the Hardware

Laptop: Toshiba A215 S4697
    Distro: Linux 3.2.0-29-generic-pae i686

Wireless: Realtek RTL8187B

The wireless is showing no extension for iwconfig

lsusb shows the following:
    Bus 001 Device 002: ID 0bda:8197 Realtek Semiconductor Corp. RTL8187B Wireless adaptor.

I have installed ndiswrapper and attempted to upload the drivers .inf file but the wireless still shows "disabled by hardware".

At this point, I am open for suggestions and could use an experienced hand.

Post output in readout of terminal

Code:
    sudo echo uname: && uname -a -m -p && echo lspci: && lspci && echo lsusb: && lsusb && echo lsmod: && lsmod && echo ifconfig: && ifconfig && echo ifconfig -a: && ifconfig -a && echo iwconfig: && iwconfig && echo resolv.conf: && cat /etc/resolv.conf && echo route: && route -n
    By the way. You had no need for ndiswrapper and windows drivers I think. Your kernel should support that wireless nic right out of the box.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home