Find the answer to your Linux question:
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By atreyu
  • 1 Post By oz
Hello, Could you please recommend me a command line program for taking screenshots that allows the specification (as command line arguments) of the coordinates on screen and size of region ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

command line screenshot program

Hello,
    Could you please recommend me a command line program for taking screenshots that allows the specification (as command line arguments) of the coordinates on screen and size of region to be included in screenshot. All programs that I know of (like Gnome-screenshot can not take screen coordinates as parameters, they only allow interactive selection of region).
    Many thanks

Trusted Penguin
    Hello and welcome,

You can try the ImageMagick program. It is great for manipulating images on the command line. You'd try the import command, which comes with it:

Code:
    import blah.jpg
    There are tons of options you can use with it, though i'm not sure about specifying exact coordinates. i know that you can specify a particular window (by it's X id, e.g.).

There is also xwd and xv, but those seem to have gone the way of the dodo.
    sk78 likes this.

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by sk78 View Post
    Could you please recommend me a command line program for taking screenshots that allows the specification (as command line arguments) of the coordinates on screen and size of region to be included in screenshot.
    Hello and welcome!

In addition to atreyu's recommendation above, you can take a look at scrot to see if it will suit your needs. It's lighterweight than imagemagick but quite powerful. Note that I've not used it for shots with specific screen coordinates, so can't say right off hand if it will meet that need.

Do let us know if either of the above recommendations work for you.
    sk78 likes this.
    oz

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Many thanks for your replies. I've looked at ImageMagick and Scrot but neither seem to have an option for specifying coordinates of region to capture, only id of window.
    I think there might be a way using ffmpeg. For instance:

ffmpeg -f x11grab -s 660x468 -r 1 -t 1 -i :0.0+756,222 screenshot.jpg

where -s 660x468 is size in pixels -r 1 is frame rate -t 1 is time (seconds) and -i :0.0+756,222 (0.0 es display screen number of your X11 server and 756 is the x-offset and 222 the y-offset)
    This is for capturing desktop video but setting -r and -t to 1, it should just capture one image.

Please let me know if you find an easier way, though.

Trusted Penguin
    ffmpeg -f x11grab -s 660x468 -r 1 -t 1 -i :0.0+756,222 screenshot.jpg

where -s 660x468 is size in pixels -r 1 is frame rate -t 1 is time (seconds) and -i :0.0+756,222 (0.0 es display screen number of your X11 server and 756 is the x-offset and 222 the y-offset)
    This is for capturing desktop video but setting -r and -t to 1, it should just capture one image.

Please let me know if you find an easier way, though.
    i'd say you found a darn good solution. the only thing i would have suggested is the -vframes 1 option to ffmpeg which limits the number of frames to record to one, but i'm not sure you need it.

Just Joined!
    In fact you were right. It is possible in ImageMagick using the crop option. For instance:

Code:
    import -window root -crop 660x480+756+222 screenshot.jpg

Trusted Penguin
    In fact you were right. It is possible in ImageMagick using the crop option. For instance:

Code:
    import -window root -crop 660x480+756+222 screenshot.jpg
    I've never used crop before, good find, and thanks for sharing!