Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello everyone! Here is my problem: I have Ubuntu 12.10 and Linux Mint 13 on the same machine. I like to try new distros and I think Mint is really ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

No Icons, no right-click after installing Cinnamon on Ubuntu 12.10

Hello everyone!

Here is my problem: I have Ubuntu 12.10 and Linux Mint 13 on the same machine. I like to try new distros and I think Mint is really nice. I also like Cinnamon so I thought "let's install Cinnamon on Ubuntu". I did it and I was very happy for this choice (I never fell in love with Unity)/
    But yesterday I logged in Ubuntu and.. no icons + the mouse right button is not working. I logged out and choose "gnome with no effects" because I thought it would work. And in fact it did!
    Since I was in the mood for experiments, I tried "cinnamon 2d" and it worked too... but when I tried again this morning.... it was not working!
    This is not a HUGE problem, since I can use Gnome (or - sigh - Unity), but I like Cinnamon so would love to fix this little annoying problem.

Though I don't run Cinnamon or Ubuntu 12.10. Did you install the latest version available like in this link.

Howtofindsolutions: Install and Configure Latest Cinnamon 1.6.3 in Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal/Ubuntu 12.04
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Yes, I think I used that. But to be 100% sure I did it again and it said that I have already the newest version of Cinnamon installed. But then I noticed a weird thing: I have the problem with "no icons" and "no mouse right-click" when I switch on the pc and choose Ubuntu in the dual boot page. The problems does not occur when, once I am in Ubuntu, I log out and re-log in (in such case Cinnamon - or any other desktop environment - works perfectly: icons are back and the mouse right button works again!).
    I really wish to understand what the hell happens when I simply try to use ubuntu without logging out and loggin in again

Just Joined!
    Don't know if this will fix the button problem but have you installed the 3D drivers for your graphics card.

The Mint site quoting hardware requirements for Mint seems to be saying that 3D is needed for Cinnamon.

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    Are you using auto login?

If so, try disabling that to see if the problem goes away
    "I used to be with it, then they changed what it was.
    Now what was it isn't it, and what is it is weird and scary to me.
    It'll happen to you too."

Grandpa Simpson

The Fifth Continent

Quote Originally Posted by elija View Post
    Are you using auto login?

If so, try disabling that to see if the problem goes away
    I actually abilitated it to be able to choose and try different environments. And I had no problems for the first few days I was using Cinnamon. Problems started apparently for no reason (I say apparently because I cannot imagine what caused them )
    @bonzerwood: I think my drivers are okay because, as I said few lines before, I was able to use Cinnamon without troubles for at least a week. Maybe it's something to do with Ubuntu upgrades (in fact when I use Mint, no problems occur)/
    Anyway thank you guys for your help and if I will find out what the problems are, I will post the solution