Find the answer to your Linux question:
So, I've recently been handed some code, and I'm trying to compile it. I've had experience with C++ but it was actually quite a few years ago. Anyway, I was ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Compiling c++ code in bash

So, I've recently been handed some code, and I'm trying to compile it. I've had experience with C++ but it was actually quite a few years ago.

Anyway, I was sent a nice tar file with the directory I needed. Unpacked it and I have to .cpp files and like 5 or 6 .h files. Every time I try to compile, I get a load of errors from one specific .h file and my compilation aborts. Before I keep hacking away at this and try to do something crazy like debugging code I didn't write, I want to just double check with people that I'm executing the compilation commands correctly.

I downloaded g++ as my compiler. And I'm running with the command

g++ -c XXXX.cpp

Is this right, do I have to do anything like in FORTRAN where I link the .h files to the main files, or is the fact that the .h files are called in the source files sufficient.

Thanks in advance.

Just Joined!
    make sure that all the header file and .cpp file is in same directory.
    try this command :-
    Code:
    g++ XXXX.cpp -o output_binary_name
    after you give this command you will get exaculatble file named output_binary_name in the same directory you are currently in.
    you can run you code as below:-
    go to terminal:- (chmod it if required)
    Code:
    ubuntu# chmod 777 output_binary_name
    ubuntu# ./output_binary_name
    that's it.

hope you got the answer.
    if you still get the errors please post your errors here.