Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi all ! I use Ubuntu 12.10 and Thunderbird mail client. I would like using Vietnamese accents when writing message. How can I do ? Thank you for your suggests!...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

How to write Vietnamese character in Thunderbird ?

Hi all !
    I use Ubuntu 12.10 and Thunderbird mail client. I would like using Vietnamese accents when writing message. How can I do ?
    Thank you for your suggests!

Just Joined!
    If I'm understanding you correctly, I believe you need to go to 'Edit' 'Preferences' 'Display' . Under the 'formatting' tab where it says' Fonts', look to the far right of that where the 'Advanced' button is and click on it. Which brings up the 'Fonts and Encodings' window. Go down to 'Character Encodings' and set your 'Outgoing Mail' and 'Incoming Mail' settings to Vietnamese. Click 'OK', and close all the windows. I would restart Thunderbird just to make sure it takes hold. That should do what you want, if I understand what you're wanting to do.

Just Joined!
    In Windows I use Unikey with French keyboard layout to put accents on words. Unikey is a small program I can execute or not. I have downloaded Unikey for Linux (x-unikey), but it require to install under terminal mode and because I am new to Ubuntu, I don't know how to install it. So I post this threat to know if there are other way to write Vietnamese with French keyboard (I live in France and I have never used vietnamese keyboard).
    I did the settings you adviced and I writed message with vietnamese keyboard settings, I got vietnamese characters effectively. but it is very hard to remember vietnamese layout with French keyboard.
    Many thanks for your suggests !

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close