Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hello all, I have a desktop system (P4 - 3.0 GHz.) which runs Lubuntu 12.04. Whenever i'm watching a movie on youtube, the screensaver turns my screen blank. How do ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Question Turn off screensaver

Hello all,

I have a desktop system (P4 - 3.0 GHz.) which runs Lubuntu 12.04. Whenever i'm watching a movie on youtube, the screensaver turns my screen blank. How do i switch off the screenssaver completely? Is it a sort of a deamon which can be disabled or removed?

Any help will be very much appreciated!

Well,

To start with, do you know which screensaver app you are running? gnome-screensaver, kscreensaver or xscreensaver?

Any way you slice it, there should be a way to control it under Preferences -> ScreenSaver, but how to configure it will likely depend on which one you are running.

HTH. Let us know.

There are potential issues with Nvidia drivers in 12.10. It can be "cured" by switching your graphics driver to the Nouveau free and open source one.
    I had the same screen blanking issues, and switching fixed it immediately. I had tried all the settings I could find, but none worked. It didnt want to behave itself.
    HAving said switch, you might find some minor text-display glitches, but you'll have to decide what is worse - having to keep moving the mouse every ten mintues when wayching movies, or a few lines where the text seems a little scrambled until it's redrawn.

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by reginaldperrin View Post
    There are potential issues with Nvidia drivers in 12.10. It can be "cured" by switching your graphics driver to the Nouveau free and open source one.
    I had the same screen blanking issues, and switching fixed it immediately. I had tried all the settings I could find, but none worked. It didnt want to behave itself.
    HAving said switch, you might find some minor text-display glitches, but you'll have to decide what is worse - having to keep moving the mouse every ten mintues when wayching movies, or a few lines where the text seems a little scrambled until it's redrawn.
    I have been running kernels 3.7-rc2 and now 3.7-rc3 with the NVidia kernel module 310.14 with no issues.
    root@sdrbox:~# uname -r
    3.7.0-rc3+
    root@sdrbox:~# cat /proc/driver/nvidia/version
    NVRM version: NVIDIA UNIX x86_64 Kernel Module 310.14 Tue Oct 9 11:52:41 PDT 2012
    GCC version: gcc version 4.7.2 (Ubuntu/Linaro 4.7.2-2ubuntu1)
    root@sdrbox:~# cat /etc/lsb-release
    DISTRIB_ID=Ubuntu
    DISTRIB_RELEASE=12.10
    DISTRIB_CODENAME=quantal
    DISTRIB_DESCRIPTION="Ubuntu 12.10"

startup

Quote Originally Posted by nomko View Post
    Hello all,

I have a desktop system (P4 - 3.0 GHz.) which runs Lubuntu 12.04. Whenever i'm watching a movie on youtube, the screensaver turns my screen blank. How do i switch off the screenssaver completely? Is it a sort of a deamon which can be disabled or removed?

Hi

In Preferences > Startup Applications > you can disable screensaver by unchecking it there.

Hope that works for you.

fen

And if you cannot see that in startup type or copy and paste this in a terminal:
    sudo sed -i 's/NoDisplay=true/NoDisplay=false/g' /etc/xdg/autostart/*.desktop

Quote Originally Posted by reginaldperrin View Post
    There are potential issues with Nvidia drivers in 12.10.
    If you have read my post more carefully, then you could read that i'm using Lubuntu 12.04.

Quote Originally Posted by fenario View Post
    In Preferences > Startup Applications > you can disable screensaver by unchecking it there.
    Hi fenario,

Done that, it didn listed there.
    Last edited by nomko; 11-09-2012 at 05:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by fenario View Post
    And if you cannot see that in startup type or copy and paste this in a terminal:
    sudo sed -i 's/NoDisplay=true/NoDisplay=false/g' /etc/xdg/autostart/*.desktop
    Haven't tried this command. I'll try this out and let you know if this helped.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by nomko View Post
    Hello all,

Might be worth trying:

xset -dpms

to disable the X server energy saver

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast