Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi Geeks A linux newbie here. Ive installed Ubuntu alongside with Windows in my PC. All OK here. I like Linux vs Windows, but I still need Windows to test ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Nen
    Just Joined!

Exclamation GRUB Not Booting from USB... HELP!

Hi Geeks

A linux newbie here.

Ive installed Ubuntu alongside with Windows in my PC.

All OK here. I like Linux vs Windows, but I still need Windows to test some programs.

The problem is, now I cannot boot from USB or CD:

I've created a bootable USB drive from Windows with no apparent problems.

When I set in the BIOS to boot from the USB, that part at least goes normally, but then I'm shown a grub> command prompt.

Trying the command "boot", I get Error 8: Kernel must be loaded before booting. So, how do I continue from there?

Why this does not works normally like before installing Ubuntu in my PC?

This has happens when using a LiveCD (a bootable CD) and botting from the CD drive.

What is needed to launch the install process from the grub prompt?

Or... can I uninstall Grub 2 altogether and go just with the Windows Bootloader as before?

Thanks a lot in advance

Nen
    Just Joined!
    When I enter "ls" i get:

Error25: Disk read error

Linux Guru
    Are you using the most recent Ubuntu 12.10?
    Which windows version are you using?
    How did you install Ubuntu? Did you create a bootable usb with the Ubuntu installation media on it?
    Did you download and burn the Ubuntu image to a CD? or DVD? and install from there?
    If so, does your comment above mean you selected the option in the Ubuntu install media to "install Alongside other operating system"?

I'm a little confused by your question about "what is needed to launch the install process from the grub prompt"?
    You won't get a grub prompt from an installation media as it uses a different bootloader - isolinux or syslinux.
    So have you just downloaded Ubuntu and not installed? or installed and unable to boot? Have you set the CD or usb to first boot priority in the BIOS?
    Did you do a wubi install or install Ubuntu on its own partition?
    Are you able to boot either system now? Can you boot with a Linux Live CD?

Nen
    Just Joined!
    Hi,

I have already installed Ubuntu and Windows 7.

Now I need to use a livecd with some utilities I need (with a bootable usb), but everytime I try that, cant pass the Grub command prompt screen.

GRUB or any other boot loader installed in Hard disk has nothing to do with CD or USB boot. Something is wrong in your BIOS settings or with bootable devices ( CD or USB ). Have you checked same CD/USB in other machine? Have you checked boot order in BIOS settings?
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First