Find the answer to your Linux question:
I installed ubuntu through the .iso I installed on a dvd. I used the default installer to install inside windows 7. I was then told to remove the dvd, and ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

No dual boot ubuntu 12.10

I installed ubuntu through the .iso I installed on a dvd. I used the default installer to install inside windows 7. I was then told to remove the dvd, and then click enter which caused my computer to restart. Then on restart it booted straight into windows 7, can you help so I can get ubuntu running alongside win 7? Thanks.

Trusted Penguin
    Hello and welcome!

Did you install Ubuntu using wubi I assume? You should get prompted at boot-time to select b/t Windows and Ubuntu. See the screenshot under the heading How do I select whether to run Windows or Ubuntu? here:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/WubiGuide

Perhaps you need to increase the Windows "Time to display list of OSs" parameter. In Windows, go to:

Control Panel > System > Advanced system settings

and under the Advanced tab, click on the Settings button under Startup and Recovery.

Just Joined!
    Your sentences are ambiguitous, please make it clearer:
    1. I installed ubuntu through the .iso I installed on a dvd.
    "the .iso I installed on a dvd": you install an .iso on a dvd? do you mean burn an iso image onto DVD, I assume u burn the image

2. I used the default installer to install inside windows 7.
    "install inside windows 7": do you install Ubuntu in a virtual machine running in Windows 7? Or you install using Wubi? what installer did you use?

If the installation is successful, press F8 before Windows 7 boots up to see whether the boot menu contains Ubuntu.

Linux Guru
    Did you successfully burn the iso file as an image to your DVD?
    Were you successfully able to boot the computer with the DVD in the drive and get the Ubuntu Live DVD?
    A wubi install will install Ubuntu inside a windows partition as a program. You can then delete it as you could any program. The other option referenced by atreyu above is virtual software. You can install Ubuntu or any other operating system inside virtual software such as Virtual Box. What atreyu appears to be asking is which method you used?? If you did a wubi install, you apparently did not install the Ubuntu Grub2 bootloader to the master boot record so you are unable to boot it. The windows bootloader doesn't recognize non-windows systems so you would need to either install Grub2 or get some third party software.

More specifics on exactly what you did should help someone to help you.

Trusted Penguin
    Quote Originally Posted by yancek View Post
    A wubi install will install Ubuntu inside a windows partition as a program. You can then delete it as you could any program. The other option referenced by atreyu above is virtual software. You can install Ubuntu or any other operating system inside virtual software such as Virtual Box. What atreyu appears to be asking is which method you used?? If you did a wubi install, you apparently did not install the Ubuntu Grub2 bootloader to the master boot record so you are unable to boot it.
    Actually, I was under the impression that the Wubi installer creates a boot entry for Ubuntu in the Windows boot loader (ntldr/boot.ini). I didn't know you could create a boot entry for the system using VBox. I've never used Wubi though, so I am just going off of what I've read...