Find the answer to your Linux question:
After going through the information available on Google etc I was surprised to find the that microsoft is basically blocking customers from installing linux on a windows 8 machine. I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

I am looking for a solution for the 'secure boot" issue on a W8 lapto

After going through the information available on Google etc I was surprised to find the that microsoft is basically blocking customers from installing linux on a windows 8 machine.

I tried to install ubuntu 12.04 but although the installation appears to work when I take the ubuntu option it will not boot.

My question is when will a non technical solution be available for a user that can either boot from a dvd or a usb key? What I have found is beyond my competance in as much as the work arounds appear to need programming knowledge?
    Any suggestions or answer when such a solution will be available without paying for a fedora key?

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by gjhxyz View Post
    Any suggestions or answer when such a solution will be available without paying for a fedora key?
    Take a look here for some info on the subject:

Linux Foundation UEFI Secure Boot System for Open Source | The Linux Foundation
    oz

Just Joined!
    Thank you for your fasr reply, I did read the article before I posted the ueation!

The problem is very basic, I use tools to install the linux releases and when they do not work for whatever reason I cry help. I am sure I am not alone in this basic problem. When I needed to test 12.10.1
    on a windows 7 machine I was able to install yumi and this provided the solution no hassle. Now thanks to our friends in MS I cannot use yumi because although its runs apparently the Secure boot system is stopping me! So could someone rewrite yumi to make it work by disabbling the secure boot? Is this the solution. I know what the requirement is. Please could someone produce an exec that runs on windows that permits me to install ubuntu or any other linux system on a windowa 8 machine. Failing that could someone tell me how to switch of the secure boot in windows 8 if that is the solution! Sure after reading the articles apparently it is complex but is there someone who can provide an answer or gauge when a user friendly solution will be available.

This is a very serious problem because if it cannot be solved quickly linux will die and my vote is with you guys HELP
    thks

Ubuntu with Wubi

There's a new version of Grub that supports UEFI secure boot (I believe this is on 12.04 as well)
    Ubuntu with Wubi: Pass on upgrade to Quantal Quetzal 12.10

For Wubi, you won't be able to install Xubuntu anymore, but they have finally fixed the links for Kubuntu so that will be available and working.
    http://www.ubuntu.com/download/deskt...dows-installer
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Just Joined!
    First of all thank you for the replies but here is the result,

When I try to use the yumi exec with kubuntu or with ubuntu the result is the same whether or not I choose remote trial or install,
    I get a black white screen :

Windows boot manager

three options starting with insert windows CD which of course I don't have as the machine I am using is a HP notebook with windows 8 pre installled brand new HD 750 gb empty minus the W8 installation.

The error posted is:

file\ubuntu\winboot\wubildr.mbr. status Ox0000076
    application or operating system loader required file missing or contains errors.

I get this screen systematically if I choose option UBUNTU test install or install.

The screen presented for the choice is blue offers windows or ubuntu and it looks as if the installation has worked.
    Another comment which may be relevant on installation there are no questions as to the size for the discs to be formated it takes a few seconds and just seems to create the environment without doing a full installation. My impression I could be wrong.
    I am using the yubi exec from the latest posts 2.4+mb

I suspect this is now a bug on the yumi exec.