Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have a couple of things happening which I hope are linked and have one solution. 1.I was using Ubuntu Classic (the one without the sidebar?) but this stopped letting ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

12.04 LTS shutdown restart does not respond and login screen repeats.

I have a couple of things happening which I hope are linked and have one solution.
    1.I was using Ubuntu Classic (the one without the sidebar?) but this stopped letting me login but did not give any message (unless I entered the wrong password where it gave the correct "try again").The screen would flick blank and then redisplay the login screen.
    I could logon as guest and then run software update using my administator password.
    By trial and error I found that if I select Ubuntu 2d and then enter my password I can logon.
    2.The shut-down feature also stopped working.I get the shut-down options screen but clicking on restart or shut down has no effect.

I have not knowingly downloaded or altered anything and as the problems started at the same time I hope they are linked.
    System updates appear to install without problems.

Thanks,Dave

Linux Newbie
    Hi.

Maybe you have a failure in your config files. Go to the console "CTRL + ALT + F1", save your data, and create a new user with "sudo useradd dave2". Give a try using the new login. If everything is OK, it's a profile issue. Deep clean your /home/dave, including hidden directories. Don't worry they will be recreated on next logon. If dave2 is still a mess, consider reinstalling everything and hope it's not hardware related.