Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello everyone, I have recently installed Ubuntu 12.10 in a dual boot configuration with windows 7 on my dell studio-1558 notebook and im experiencing instabilities that i suspect are due ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Ubuntu 12.10 GPU heats up and system crash

Hello everyone,

I have recently installed Ubuntu 12.10 in a dual boot configuration with windows 7 on my dell studio-1558 notebook and im experiencing instabilities that i suspect are due to the GPU. the notebook's configuration is:
    CPU - i5 M520
    RAM - 4 GB
    GPU - Mobility Radeon HD 4570
    I have checked the GPU temperature using lm-sensors and it was gradually rising and it peaked at around 98C before the pc became too slow to operate or just crashed. the CPU cores temp was also gradually rising reaching 75-80C (before the pc crashed).
    for comparison, the GPU temperature in win7 is running much cooler at 60C and CPU cores also at 60C.
    I would have installed the propietary radeon drivers but im new to linux and it seems to be pretty complicated and i have also heard that there are incompatablities with ATI's drivers and linux.
    I would really like to try Ubuntu out and would greatly appreciate if someone could help me with this issue.
    Thanks a lot!

Linux Engineer
    Not sure what might be wrong. That seems like it should be more than enough system resources to run Unity.

Perhaps try installing 12.04. It's an LTS release, and so should be more stable. Also, don't hesitate to dig through Ubuntu's own community forums, lots of helpful members there as well.

Just Joined!
    Thank you for replying.
    I installed 12.04, went to "Additional Devices" and there i found and installed the proprietary radeon drivers and everything works great now! the GPU runs at 66C and the CPU cores at 60C.
    In 12.10 the proprietary drivers were absent from "Additional Devices" and installing them manually was not possible...
    Thank you very much mizzle!