Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello! I have a machine w/out an HDD, running Ubuntu 12.04 off of an 8GB flash drive, however, the memory is maxed out with just the OS installed, so I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question PROBLEM booting Ubuntu 12.04 on 32GB flash drive, but works with 8gb?

Hello!

I have a machine w/out an HDD, running Ubuntu 12.04 off of an 8GB flash drive, however, the memory is maxed out with just the OS installed, so I opted for a 32GB version. The first 32GB was a USB 3.0, and whenever the computer would startup with the flash drive in, it would get stuck on the HP boot screen. The second 32GB flash drive is a USB 2.0, and that works sometimes, but others it also gets stuck on the HP boot screen.

Any suggestions?

Thanks for your time and assistance!

Gunnar

How long does it get stuck. Do you wait long enough? What kind of installer did you use? What class is the flash drive? Formatted as what? What kind of Hewlitt Packard Machine and machine specs?

I guess you know what you are doing since you say
    running Ubuntu 12.04 off of an 8GB flash drive
    Maybe try something other than Ubuntu like Xubuntu or Lubuntu or Kubuntu. I usually can run a AntiX 12.5 frugal install on a 8gig pendrive (live with persistence) with plenty of room to spare. I guess you are running a full install, since you say the drive is filling up.

that works sometimes, but others it also gets stuck on the HP boot screen.
    I'd blame the 32gig flash drive being used myself since you say 8 gig drive works OK.

If me. And this is just me. I would format the whole 32gig as ext2 file system and just point the Ubuntu installer to that telling it not to change the file system I made..

Howdy and Welcome.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Trusted Penguin
    Hello and welcome!

What roky said, and do you know that the HP support USB 3.0?

Welcome aboard!

It sounds like a support issue concerning USB 3.0.
    If it "works sometimes", have you tried this drive on another computer?
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by jayd512 View Post
    Welcome aboard!

It sounds like a support issue concerning USB 3.0.
    If it "works sometimes", have you tried this drive on another computer?
    I just installed Ubuntu 12.04 on a 2.0 USB 32GB flash drive, and I am having the same issue. This is really frustrating.

I used pendrive to install 12.04 on the 8GB flash drive, then installed off the 8GB to the 32GB (both 2.0.) The install worked fine for several reboots, then stopped working again. I did all of the updates on 12.04, then it didn't work. I am about to try it on this machine, too.

Any suggestions? I am willing to try the EXT2 format, I don't know...

Trusted Penguin
    Quote Originally Posted by gbalstad View Post
    I just installed Ubuntu 12.04 on a 2.0 USB 32GB flash drive, and I am having the same issue.
    Is the problem the same that you said before, that it freezes at the HP boot screen? Does this mean it is still in POST, and hasn't gotten to Grub yet?

In the BIOS, can you tell it to turn off that HP screen and show the diagnostic one, so that you might see anything helpful?

Any suggestions? I am willing to try the EXT2 format, I don't know...
    How about listing the USB vendor/models of your problem USB thumbdrives, at least for historical purposes. maybe somebody else has had (or will have) a problem with some of them.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by atreyu View Post
    Is the problem the same that you said before, that it freezes at the HP boot screen? Does this mean it is still in POST, and hasn't gotten to Grub yet?

In the BIOS, can you tell it to turn off that HP screen and show the diagnostic one, so that you might see anything helpful?

How about listing the USB vendor/models of your problem USB thumbdrives, at least for historical purposes. maybe somebody else has had (or will have) a problem with some of them.
    So, I just tried this with my Acer laptop too, and it didn't boot.

But here is the weird thing, the other 32GB flash freezes the laptop too. So, both 32GB flash drives, (2.0 and 3.0) freeze both of my laptops upon boot, no matter what they contain.

WTF is that? They are both patriot flash drives newly purchased off Newegg.

Specs here:
    Patriot Supersonic Boost XT 32GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Model

Patriot Axle 32GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive (Red) Model

(I guess I can't post urls yet)

Any help would be appreciated.

Gunnar

Code:
    So, I just tried this with my Acer laptop too, and it didn't boot.

But here is the weird thing, the other 32GB flash freezes the laptop too.
    Sorry. But usually a freeze means hard ware incompatibility in my experience. Since both freeze 2 different computers.
    They might be good for backup storage as fat32. Quick question though since I am unfamiliar with the drive.
    Did those drives come with any Windows program pre-installed. Like U3 software that Sandisk uses?

I ask this because I ran into this kind of program and since it was read only. No formatting would remove it. I had to use
    Sandisk site uninstaller .exe in Windows from their site to make those pendrives work just like a regular pendrive.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home