Find the answer to your Linux question:
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By atreyu
Do you know a linux distribution what looks like and feels like windows for end users? i only know zorin-os. I need this to help some people to switch to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Windows 7 like UI

Do you know a linux distribution what looks like and feels like windows for end users?
    i only know zorin-os.

I need this to help some people to switch to linux.

I assume probably any distro and ui can be tinkered to look or handle simmilar like M$ windows 7.
    What i want to know are distributions or UI plugins which are ready to use such that the user can just install and use.
    Last edited by nyxos; 11-19-2012 at 11:13 PM.

I believe that the default DE (Desktop Environment) for Zorin is LXDE.
    So, really, any distro could have that look and feel. Many mainstream distros include LXDE during installation, but if not it is easily installed after the fact.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Trusted Penguin
    Quote Originally Posted by nyxos View Post
    I need this to help some people to switch to linux.

I assume probably any distro and ui can be tinkered to look or handle simmilar like M$ windows 7.
    If you want a MS look, then Zorin is good, but this Win7 theme for Linux might be even better (don't know, never tried it). The article is geared towards installing on Ubuntu, but with a little work, you could get it to work on other distros.

If ease of use is what you are after, especially where it concerns multimedia playback, etc., you might want to consider Linux Mint.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    I found a Vista theme for Ubuntu Gnome somewhere that looked quite cool. I couldn't stand the horror of booting up and seeing Windows on my computer though, so I uninstalled it.

Trusted Penguin
    Quote Originally Posted by aomimezura View Post
    I couldn't stand the horror of booting up and seeing Windows on my computer though, so I uninstalled it.
    yeah, good call. And Vista! talk about the bottom of the barrel!
    aomimezura likes this.