Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am using a machine that has Vista installed. But Vista is broken. I had some success running Ubuntu 9.1 fro a liveCD, but it uses a lot of my ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Need Advice

I am using a machine that has Vista installed. But Vista is broken.

I had some success running Ubuntu 9.1 fro a liveCD, but it uses a lot of my memeory (512MB) and sometimes freezes. In addition, the Office applications are very slow.

I tried downloading Lubuntu 12.04 and running it from a pendrive. It crashes often, both Chromium and Lubuntu. So I have ruled this out as an install option.

I wuld lime to install a Linux distribution that is stable on my system So far Ubuntu 9.10 has been the most successful, apart from the problems mentioned, version 10.04 does not load well.

Ideally, I would like Firefox as a browser and lighter Office applications.

In addition, I would like to know how to uninstall the OS if I decided I no longer wanted to use this OS. bear in mind that Vista is broken.

Thanks

Hello anon_private!

Welcome to the forums...!!

Since your Vista is broken (not surprisingly) maybe you can try to install Linux Mint 13.

I have used the earlier versions of Mint and have found it to be quite lite and fast. It is also very user friendly, IMHO...

Please feel free to post any follow up questions should you need help...

All the best,

nujinini
    Last edited by nujinini; 11-20-2012 at 03:01 AM. Reason: typo
    nujinini
    Linux User #489667

Trusted Penguin
    Hello and welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by anon_private View Post
    But Vista is broken.
    being a bit redundant, now.

I had some success running Ubuntu 9.1 fro a liveCD, but it uses a lot of my memeory (512MB) and sometimes freezes. In addition, the Office applications are very slow.

I tried downloading Lubuntu 12.04 and running it from a pendrive. It crashes often, both Chromium and Lubuntu. So I have ruled this out as an install option.
    So it sounds like you need a light-weight distro, and have ruled out Lubuntu, okay. The Fedora Project puts out an LXDE and an Xfce spin. Maybe check those out:

A couple more very popular light-weight distros that you might want to consider:

Ideally, I would like Firefox as a browser and lighter Office applications.
    You should be able to find Firefox (or it's Mozilla-free forked cousin, Iceweasel) in any of those distros default repos. For lighter apps, you can look into AbiWord and Gnumeric (spreadsheets). If you want to go extreme light-weight, you can check out SIAG Office.

In addition, I would like to know how to uninstall the OS if I decided I no longer wanted to use this OS. bear in mind that Vista is broken.
    Like Windows, Linux distros don't usually support uninstalling the OS. An exception to this would be Ubuntu's Wubi installer, that installs Linux to a file inside the Windows OS. To effect an uninstall of Linux, you just need to delete the partition(s) upon which it is installed, or to be more paranoid, boot with a Live Linux CD (like SysRescCd) and use one of the disk formatting utils. The easiest/best thing to do is just install over top of it though (Windows and Linux will both do this happily, though sometimes the one is very unhappy about the others partition table trickery and intervention is required). If you wish to reclaim space to be used by another OS on the system, you can just format the partitions either from within that OS, or via a Live Linux CD.