Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
So I downloaded the Xubuntu Studio .iso file directly from them, and I have use unetbootin or whatever it's called to create a supposed "live USB" and It seems to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Unhappy Xubuntu Studio on Acer Aspire One Problems :[

So I downloaded the Xubuntu Studio .iso file directly from them, and I have use unetbootin or whatever it's called to create a supposed "live USB" and It seems to work, because when I plug the USB into windows, it pops up with the "Install Xubuntu Studio" window, but when I try to boot my laptop from the flash drive itsself, it goes to a black screen, with a small blinking cursor in the top left corner. Are there any solutions? I want to switch from win 7 to xubuntu studio, because I do a lot of recording, and I am trying to get the best performance/lowest latency possible :]

Thanks in advance!

Hi and Welcome !

Have you set USB as first boot device in BIOS? Are sure machine is trying to boot up from USB not another device?

Post your machine's specs here. Which Graphics Card do you have?
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!
    It's the AOD255
    Yes I have it as top priority, but now that you mention it, I havent been unplugging my usb mouse. Could it possibly be trying to boot from that instead of the flash drive?? lol

Try same USB in other machine and check if Mint boots up fine in that. We have to make sure that LiveUSB has been created correctly.

USB mouse is not a problem, in most cases...

Just Joined!
    I just went and tried it on our desktop gateway and it booted up the unetboot screen! including "try without installing" but for some reason on my acer aspire one it wont :[

Anyone have any suggestions?
    Last edited by Derrrrr; 11-24-2012 at 01:54 AM.

Unetbootlin didn't work in one of my machine too. Use Universal USB Installer to create LiveUSB again. Download latest version from pendrivelinux.com

Just Joined!
    That still didn't work, I got the same old blinking coursor in the top left. I have never installed GRUB or anything like that, could that be it?

Linux Guru
    I've had the blinking cursor several times and usually it will boot after a few minutes. If you let it go for 5+ minutes and nothing happens it's not likely to boot. Have you checked to see if you have multiple options in the BIOS to boot from the flash? On some systems, it will show something like CDROM group and HDD group and there will be an option to boot from a flash in both. I have a system like that and selecting flash under the CDROM group does nothing but selecting it under the HDD group the flash will boot. Take a careful look at the boot options in the BIOS. If nothing there changes, post info on your graphics card. Also, Grub is irrelevant as it is not used to boot unetbootin created flash drives.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by yancek View Post
    I've had the blinking cursor several times and usually it will boot after a few minutes. If you let it go for 5+ minutes and nothing happens it's not likely to boot. Have you checked to see if you have multiple options in the BIOS to boot from the flash? On some systems, it will show something like CDROM group and HDD group and there will be an option to boot from a flash in both. I have a system like that and selecting flash under the CDROM group does nothing but selecting it under the HDD group the flash will boot. Take a careful look at the boot options in the BIOS. If nothing there changes, post info on your graphics card. Also, Grub is irrelevant as it is not used to boot unetbootin created flash drives.

It's legitimately a hang :[ it's been blinking for like 8 mins :[ I'm gonna let it go for about 5 more minutes,
    Then if not ill post back with the specs of my graphics card.

Just Joined!
    I'm messing with it, and it does show multiple options for the USB boot in the boot menu. Is shows

USB FDD
    USB HDD
    USB CD

Or something like that, but it only pulls my flash drive up for FDD. I have no clue what that means.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast