Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
I have removed the Global App Menu as I prefer to have the minimize, maximize, close buttons on the right side of each app. I did this with no problem ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Menus not showing when Maximized 12.10

I have removed the Global App Menu as I prefer to have the minimize, maximize, close buttons on the right side of each app. I did this with no problem in 12.04. I did an upgrade to 12.10 and noticed that Chrome, Chromium and Firefox all use the Global Menu.

I have done the following:

sudo apt-get autoremove appmenu-gtk appmenu-gtk3 appmenu-qt

I have disabled the Firefox extension. I removed the corresponding Firefox package but still only have a global menu.

I tried Gconf but apparently that does not work in 12.10. I then tried Dconf and found this fix on Google: org > gnome > desktop > wm > preferences, look for "button_layout" on the right panel. Here is the problem, after desktop, I do not have 'wm'.

I reset Unity and got a message saying something about wm is missing.

I rebooted and opened Chrome and still no fix. I then clicked maximize and once Chrome was not maximized anymore, the minimize, maximize, close buttons show up in Chrome. Same with Firefox. I then quickly realized this behavior is for all apps that are maximized.

Any ideas? I am truly stumped. Firefox and Chrome work fine in KDE Plasma and Gnome when maximized. Sorry for the long post!

Just Joined!
    Try this: gsettings reset org.gnome.desktop.wm.preferences button-layout in a bash shell. Alt+F#

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by AGrant View Post
    Try this: gsettings reset org.gnome.desktop.wm.preferences button-layout in a bash shell. Alt+F#
    I did chsh and entered the above. I got the following:

chsh: settings reset org.gnome.desktop.wm.preferences button-layout is an invalid shell

I'm not too familiar with bash shell. Did I do this right? Thanks.

Just Joined!
    Apologies for being clearer. You need to press Ctrl, Alt and a numbered F# (keep the number between 1 and 6 - 7 is used normally used by the GUI) keys at the same time. This will bring up a command prompt. Your GUI is still present, press Ctrl, Alt and F7 at the same time to return to the GUI.
    After logging in, your usual login name and password you use to login into your system when you switch it on, type in:

$ sudo gsettings reset org.gnome.desktop.wm.preferences button-layout

press enter and pop in your password when asked.
    Log out out and log in back of your system (press ctrl, altF7 to return to the GUI and logout and in as normal) Or, you can just restart your computer, if this is acceptable. This should sort out the problem.
    If it doesn't you probably have 'lost' one of the GUI system files. But we can look at that later, if needed.

Just Joined!
    Thanks for the quick response. I tried Ctrl, Alt and a numbered F# all at the same time. I tried numbers between 1 and 7. I'm stumped.

Linux Guru
    Try holding down the Ctrl+Alt+t key simultaneously to open a terminal. You could also click the Ubuntu icon in the extreme upper left of the Desktop and then click Applications and scroll down to find terminal or type terminal in the search box.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by yancek View Post
    Try holding down the Ctrl+Alt+t key simultaneously to open a terminal. You could also click the Ubuntu icon in the extreme upper left of the Desktop and then click Applications and scroll down to find terminal or type terminal in the search box.
    Opening a terminal is simple. It's the rest I don't understand about a "bash shell"

I did this in terminal:

sudo gsettings reset org.gnome.desktop.wm.preferences button-layout

Rebooted and no 'wm' in Dconf.
    Last edited by chazdg25; 11-28-2012 at 05:56 PM. Reason: clarification

Just Joined!
    I decided to install Global Menus - they don't work. Each app has its own minimize, maximize, close buttons, as I suspected. So no matter what I do, I am stuck with this issue. Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Just Joined!
    I see what you are trying to do. Forgive my ignorance. What you need to do is basically reinstall all the bits and pieces you removed.
    type the following in a terminal:

$ sudo apt-get install appmenu-gtk3 appmenu-gtk appmen-qt

(the order is important, a different order brought my computer to it's knees in memory usage - 6 gig's plus 4 gig in swap space!, pretty amazing)

Restart your computer. Then type this:

S sudo apt-get remove appmenu-gtk3 appmenu-gtk appmenu-qt

Leave out the "auto". Using the autremove appears to remove some configuration files. Well, it did on my machine. I lost the im-multipress.conf and lightdm.conf files.

Restart you computer
    After you have done this, run an update on the software database:

$ sudo updatedb

then do a

$ sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

restart you computer and all should be well. I hope so. I've tried it on three different computers and each one worked.

Just Joined!
    I appreciate your help. Unfortunately, after following your instructions to the letter, I still end up with the same problem. Maximize any app, and the 'minimize,maximize,close' buttons are gone, leaving me with a global app menu in the upper left hand corner. Also, the org.gnome.desktop.wm.preferences button-layout does not exist when I open Dconf-editor.

Could there be a Compiz option we are over looking?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast