Find the answer to your Linux question:
I recently installed 9.04 on an older laptop, because that's the only one that would run properly. Now everything is set up and it runs amazingly, but after I downloaded ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

How to get Java running on Ubuntu 9.04?

I recently installed 9.04 on an older laptop, because that's the only one that would run properly. Now everything is set up and it runs amazingly, but after I downloaded Minecraft, I realized I didn't have Java installed.

Now how would I go about installing Java? All the googling I've been doing, has told me the same thing, I need to use terminal and get it from the repo's but those are outdated and don't work.

So what do I do?

Quote Originally Posted by wethegreenpeople View Post
    I recently installed 9.04 on an older laptop, because that's the only one that would run properly. Now everything is set up and it runs amazingly, but after I downloaded Minecraft, I realized I didn't have Java installed.

Now how would I go about installing Java? All the googling I've been doing, has told me the same thing, I need to use terminal and get it from the repo's but those are outdated and don't work.

So what do I do?
    Install java manually using their instructions since you run a unsupported EOL Ubuntu release.

How do I download and install 32-bit Java for Linux?
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Just Joined!
    I apologize because I am a bit new at this whole linux thing.

But I think I need sun java, says specifically to use that. And that isn't the same thing that you linked me to, correct?

I probably should have put in the first post that I was looking for sun java. >.<

Linux Guru
    That's what the link above is. Make sure you read the instructions carefully before proceeding and don't download the Java for RPM based Linux platforms.

The repos aren't "outdated", the Ubuntu 9.04 reached End of Life in October, 2010 and the repositories are no longer available nor are any updates.