Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello all. I followed a guide to setup my new Linux Mint 14 installation on my new SSD: Link to guide My partitions are as follows: /boot on SDA1 / ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Returning /var/tmp to its rightful place

Hello all.

I followed a guide to setup my new Linux Mint 14 installation on my new SSD: Link to guide

My partitions are as follows:

/boot on SDA1
    / on SDA3
    /var on SDB2
    /home on SDB3

I can't paste my fstab output as I'm not at home at the mo.

Anyway, part of the guide suggests mounting /tmp & /var/tmp as tmpfs by adding the following lines to the end of fstab:

none /tmp tmpfs nodev,nosuid,mode=1777 0 0
    none /var/tmp tmpfs nodev,nosuid,mode=1777 0 0

After further research I now know that it is not advisable to mount /var/tmp in this way and I want to reverse this.

It's probably just a case of deleting the bottom line from fstab and rebooting, but I thought Id check with the experts to make sure there isn't anything else I need to do. Will it find it's way back to it's old location or is there some jiggery pokery I have to do to revert?

Thanks in advance.

esqo

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by esqobar View Post
    Hello all.

I followed a guide to setup my new Linux Mint 14 installation on my new SSD: Link to guide

My partitions are as follows:

/boot on SDA1
    / on SDA3
    /var on SDB2
    /home on SDB3

I can't paste my fstab output as I'm not at home at the mo.

Anyway, part of the guide suggests mounting /tmp & /var/tmp as tmpfs by adding the following lines to the end of fstab:

none /tmp tmpfs nodev,nosuid,mode=1777 0 0
    none /var/tmp tmpfs nodev,nosuid,mode=1777 0 0

After further research I now know that it is not advisable to mount /var/tmp in this way and I want to reverse this.

It's probably just a case of deleting the bottom line from fstab and rebooting, but I thought Id check with the experts to make sure there isn't anything else I need to do. Will it find it's way back to it's old location or is there some jiggery pokery I have to do to revert?

Thanks in advance.

esqo
    Hi.

Because some files in /tmp or /var/tmp need to stay (mysql socket for example), the system provides a way to save and restore those files. After restoring /tmp and /var/tmp to regular partitions, you must check the logs to be sure nothing is going to mess in those directories.

Just Joined!
    Hi.

Thanks for the reply. My understanding is that nothing in /tmp needs to stay, but stuff in /var/tmp is persistent, however the /var/tmp directory is currently empty (because it is in tmpfs and being wiped at every power cycle). This is a virgin build and I haven't even opened many applications yet, so I don't think I need be concerned with anything being messed up in there, but thanks for the cautionary advice.

I am more concerned with the actual mechanism of restoring /var/tmp to the location of the physical /var directory on sdb2. Am I OK to just delete the line "none /var/tmp tmpfs nodev,nosuid,mode=1777 0 0" from fstab and reboot, or do I need to explicitly tell Linux where /var/tmp should go?

esqo

Just Joined!
    OK, just to draw a line under this in case anyone finds it who is searching for the same answer, I deleted the above mentioned line from fstab, rebooted and "df /var/tmp" gives a result of:

Code:
    Filesystem     1K-blocks   Used Available Use% Mounted on
    /dev/sdb2        9843232 887176   8456040  10% /var
    So, to summarise, if you have followed an SSD optimisation guide for Linux and have changed your mind about having the line "none /var/tmp tmpfs nodev,nosuid,mode=1777 0 0" or similar in fstab (to mount /var/tmp to tmpfs), you can simply reverse it by deleting the line and rebooting. /var/tmp will snap back to being on whatever physical media /var is on as when you installed it.

esqo