Find the answer to your Linux question:
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Roxoff
  • 1 Post By oz
Hello. I have 2 friends in school who both say that the best Linux distro is Kubuntu. They also say that I'm wasting my time with Ubuntu and it sucks ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Ubuntu: Good or Bad?

Hello. I have 2 friends in school who both say that the best Linux distro is Kubuntu. They also say that I'm wasting my time with Ubuntu and it sucks ever since 12.10 came out. I'm wondering if they are right.

I love using Ubuntu. When my friend showed me Ubuntu for the first time, I was really amazed. The environment was so much simpler and easier than Windows or OS X. Plus, I loved that it was open-source. Getting a good OS for free. What's better?

These two friends say that Ubuntu just got bad because of 12.10 and Ubuntu's advertisements for donations. I don't know what their problem is with 12.10. I think is is the Amazon app.

I heard bad stuff about Kubuntu like...
    -KDE sucks
    -the package manager is pretty complicated
    -it is a bit unorganized
    -etc

Anyway, I don't know if I'm making the right choice with Ubuntu.

Linux Guru
    Read my sig. I have very few friends that I respect their opinions and maybe would listen to them.

Just Joined!
    What does that mean? I just joined the forum about 15 minutes ago.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Mint, Debian... these are all from the same stable. Just because two schoolkids think Kubuntu works best for them, it doesn't mean it will work best for you.

This is not the world of the commercial operating system, where you shell out loads of money for an operating system, and if you then don't like it you're stuck or you've wasted your money. Download the installers for Ubuntu and Kubuntu, try them both out and make up your own mind.

Ubuntu asks for people to donate because they have a system to run, yet you don't pay for their product. I don't have a problem with that, and if you cannot afford to pay, then don't. There are no advertisements built-in to Ubuntu.
    CurtisCoburn likes this.
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/

oz
    forum.guy
    Hello and welcome to the forums!

Ubuntu: Good or Bad?
    Yes, it is good or bad, depending on each individual user's point of view. I wouldn't recommend turning over the decision about whether any particular distribution is good or bad for you to someone else. Instead, you should try any distros that you are curious about and then decide for yourself which works best for your own needs, and works best with your computer hardware. That said, I'm not a fan of Ubuntu or Kubuntu, but I am happy that they remain available for those users that are fans. Having so many options available to us is one of the best aspects of using Linux.

Good luck to you with your quest to find the best distro for you, regardless of the path you take...
    CurtisCoburn likes this.
    oz

Just Joined!
    Just this. If Ubuntu is working out for you, and you are liking it, what is the problem? If everything is working out just fine for you, then you have no reason to switch. If you're friends like something else, well, that's their choice. What is better for them might not be better for you. But if you are really questioning this, why now give Kubuntu a try? What do you have to loose? Use that for a while, and see what you like better. If you so happen to like Kubuntu over Ubuntu, then you can make a switch. If not, just tell you're friends that you gave Kubuntu a try, and you didn't like it over Ubuntu. They should respect your choice.

Just Joined!
    I think what you're saying is your friends are saying this because they view it as a completely different operating system instead of viewing it as a base like Apple or Windows and any type of skin you want... Perhaps you are too; I don't know. That's essentially what it is though: A base that's able to be customized any way you want but at the end of the day, they all function similarly. Almost all apps are available to any distro you choose so what would you say it is, other than a skin? It's your choice, hence Linux...