Find the answer to your Linux question:
I installed Ubuntu 10.04 last night and it seemed to install OK but when it finally booted up the screen is split into 3 sections "vertically". The 2 on the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Weird screen on old IBM Thinkpad

I installed Ubuntu 10.04 last night and it seemed to install OK but when it finally booted up the screen is split into 3 sections "vertically". The 2 on the right side are identical purplish and the left side is a gray color. NO icons on top but do have a pair of shutdown buttons and 2 trash cans, one in each pane on the right. The mouse will move into all 3 screens but dissapears when crossing over the vertical lines. Once in a while a window will pop up behind all this mess. You can see something to click on but what is anyones guess.
    This is a fairly old IBM Think pad. 900mhz with 512m ram. I wanted to use it to run cnc out the parallel port. Newer laptops do not have parallel ports. Not sure of the date of manufacture but near 2001 I believe. I think the 512m ram is about all it can handle so that is not a option. Please let me know if the Think Pad is to weak to handle Linux Lucid. I understand Lucid is about the only one that can run the CNC program??
    Darryl
    To add further, when Linux boots up there is a nice purple screen with Ubuntu and the 4-5 dots blinking in sequence. After that is when the screen goes wacko. I can only think it is not enough video to load properly.
    The computer worked OK with Windows XP, what am I doing wrong? I just thought I would try Linux and see how well the CNC program works on that. Thanks in advance for any help anyone can give.
    Last edited by DarrylGF; 11-30-2012 at 04:58 PM. Reason: Not enough info at first

Linux Guru
    Try the following

[SOLVED] How to set NOMODESET and other kernel boot options in grub2 - Ubuntu Forums

My IBM A22M Laptop has the same specs as yours but I run AntiX 12 on that instead of Ubuntu.

I understand Lucid is about the only one that can run the CNC program??
    Maybe so or not. Not familiar with what you are talking about. AntiX can be installed and based on either Debaian Stable,Testing,or Unstable depending on user skill set.
    Default AntiX install is based on Debian Testing repositories.

If going with Ubuntu. I would choose Lubuntu or Xubuntu with those specs on your IBM laptop. I guess you know Ubuntu 10.04 is soon reaching EOL in 2013

Just Joined!
    I will give it a try. I am not going to go online with that old computer. It was only bought for running a home made Computer Numerical Controlled router table. So would not need any upgrades that I know of other than LinuxCNC right now.
    I have nothing to lose installing Antix, if nothing works then I will go back to Windows XP and pay Microsoft their fee to register. Of course XP is going to be mothballed by Microsoft in a year or 2 also.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Guess I will try the Xubuntu or Lubuntu. Nothing to lose either way Thanks for the information. The LinuxCNC page seemed to indicate Linux 10.04 was the only one that could run LinuxCNC.Maybe I missed something on their site or page.

Quote Originally Posted by DarrylGF View Post
    Guess I will try the Xubuntu or Lubuntu. Nothing to lose either way Thanks for the information. The LinuxCNC page seemed to indicate Linux 10.04 was the only one that could run LinuxCNC.Maybe I missed something on their site or page.
    From what I gather on their page, the ISO for Ubuntu 10.04 contains the Ubuntu OS.
    It's not an add-on to Ubuntu per se.

They do maintain the source code which conceivably can be compiled on other distros or versions although you may run into dependency hell due to the age of the code.

Just Joined!
    I down loaded Xubuntu and installed it. Not much better. The screen is still in 3 vertical panels. Seems like a nicer layout but not much use with the way the screen is.
    I saw during the install there was a message pop up (can't remember all it said but) Partially it said. The install detected a IBM computer and the eeprom may be corrupted. I kind of set there and looked at that message and the install took off and continued the install. I saw the message one time later saying the same thing. Wait, let me take that back. I put in the new Xubuntu disk and for some reason it did a reinstall of 10.04. I went back on my desktop and made sure I made a disk of Xubuntu at a slower rate. Double checked the DVD and then did another install on the IBM. That is when I saw the second message, the eeprom may get or be corrupted.
    Any way I can fix that? Since I can't really get to the Internet with that laptop I may be out of luck.