Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hey, so I installed Linux alongside Windows, and for the past few months I've been using Linux, and I really like it, to the point that I am ready to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Taking Windows off of a computer that have both.

Hey, so I installed Linux alongside Windows, and for the past few months I've been using Linux, and I really like it, to the point that I am ready to make a full switch over to it. Does anyone know how to take Windows off so that all of my resources are dedicated to Linux? Do I just delete its partitions or is it more complicated than that?

Hello and Welcome!

If you're sure that you're ready to remove Windows, you can simply boot up with your Ubuntu installation disc. Then remove the MS partitions and resize your Linux partitions.

Just make sure to backup any and all important data before fiddling with your partition layout!
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Linux Guru
    One thing you should check before deleting partitions is where your Linux partitions are. If you delete a lower numbered partition which contains windows, the partition numbers for Ubuntu will change and you will have trouble booting. Post your current partition information from fdisk.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Most likely you are using Wubi. If you go back into Windows and go to the drive you installed wubi in, you should see a folder that says "ubuntu". Inside that folder is an exe in which you can use it to uninstall ubuntu or whatever release you have. After that is done, you can direct install.

Quote Originally Posted by yancek View Post
    One thing you should check before deleting partitions is where your Linux partitions are. If you delete a lower numbered partition which contains windows, the partition numbers for Ubuntu will change and you will have trouble booting. Post your current partition information from fdisk.

Excellent point! I often forget that the partitions get re-numbered.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

I would suggest you to post output of fdisk -l command here.
    Code:
    sudo fdisk -l
    Above command will list partition structure of your Hard disk and it will be easier for us to help you.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Linux User
    Just one thing to check before you ditch windows:
    Every 6 months or so you get something you have to do that can only use windows, so perhaps just shrink the windows partition to a minimum and keep it in case you need to use it occasionally.

Of course, if you have /home on its own partition, you can recover/re-install your operating system at any time with minimal disruption. It also means that you can play around with different distros to see what they are like.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by devils casper View Post
    I would suggest you to post output of fdisk -l command here.
    Code:
    sudo fdisk -l
    Above command will list partition structure of your Hard disk and it will be easier for us to help you.

Here's the output of fdisk -l

Disk /dev/sda: 640.1 GB, 640135028736 bytes
    255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 77825 cylinders, total 1250263728 sectors
    Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
    Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
    I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
    Disk identifier: 0x1549f232

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
    /dev/sda1 * 2048 206847 102400 7 HPFS/NTFS/exFAT
    /dev/sda2 206848 1065796813 532794983 7 HPFS/NTFS/exFAT
    /dev/sda3 1065797630 1225461759 79832065 5 Extended
    /dev/sda4 1225461760 1250260991 12399616 7 HPFS/NTFS/exFAT
    /dev/sda5 1065797632 1217095679 75649024 83 Linux
    /dev/sda6 1217097728 1225461759 4182016 82 Linux swap / Solaris

Its not easy to merge all partitions. You have installed Linux in Logical partition and Windows has been installed in Primary Partition. As whych suggested, think about keeping Windows OS too. In case you want to remove it only, fresh installation is recommended.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First