Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi all, I'm new to Linux (Using it for a finals project at University) and I am currently looking for a way a actively send data via wireless. Here's the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Sending Data Dynamically via Wifi

Hi all,

I'm new to Linux (Using it for a finals project at University) and I am currently looking for a way a actively send data via wireless.

Here's the situation I have:

I have Lubuntu 10.04 set up and running on a small computer board (RoBoard-100), which is attached to a small robot. The robot has sensors like an accelerometer and compass attached to it which dictate how it should respond to stimulus. However, the board is quite weak in terms of hardware so I would like to send the data using a wireless USB device, attached to the board, to a server which would then process the data. The server would then transmit the end action that the robot should take back to the board.

I was wondering how I could get started on this process?
    Many thanks.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Create a TCP/IP connection (socket) between the board and server. Then you can just send the data as needed for the server to process, which will then reply with the output to the robo-board. I assume you have had some TCP/IP socket programming experience? If not, then get Stevens and Comer's books on TCP/IP programming...
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!