Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello. Trying to figure how i can move a folder or file from my external hard drive to a folder on my ubuntu server. I tried doing the mv command ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Unable to move files or folder from Ext HDD to a folder in ubuntu

Hello.

Trying to figure how i can move a folder or file from my external hard drive to a folder on my ubuntu server. I tried doing the mv command but i think i might of done it wrong because nothing happens. I can not drag it over says about permissions. Any suggestions?

Linux Guru
    What filesystem type is on the external hard drive where you have the folder? Is it a Linux system? windows?
    Have you checked the permissions on the directory you wish to copy to?
    Are you doing this as a normal user?
    Are you doing it using the sudo command to get root access? Don't know if it is necessary but probably.
    Open a terminal and check the permissions on the server, the directory you are trying to copy to with the: ls -l command.
    It's hard for anyone to say whether you used the mv command improperly since we don't know what you did??
    Drag and drop giving a permission error would probably be expected. You need to check the permissions.

Just Joined!
    well i got to figure how to move it by command and if i right click on the home it says root and it says i dont have permission to change the permissions. Also now from my windows machine i can see the files but if i double click on any files i can not open them. So now i am stuck on that.

Use the sudo and chmod commands on the server to get permission to change the permissions. Are you using FileZilla on windows to manage the server or ssh?
    Last edited by ZeRoShock; 12-08-2012 at 01:31 AM.

Just Joined!
    sudo cp -R /devicepath/filepattern <destination>

Just Joined!
    This is what i am doing. Right now i have my external attached to my server so i can get all the stuff off of it. I can drag and drop onto my desktop but i can not drag and drop into a folder under my home folder. So i have to do move command which kinda is annoying. Because some file names are just long. So i would like to be able to drag and drop them anywhere but giving me a permission issue. So i am stuck on how to give the right access to it. Also from my Windows i can SSH to my computer and run commands fine. But if i want to go to the folder from my network and see the NAS device and i can get into it and go under say my "movies" folder i am able to go into that folder but to open a folder with in the "movies" folder i am unable to.

In the cli type the command to get a root nautilus window.

sudo nautilus

or when using the mv command in the cli start typing the file name and hit tab to auto fill the rest for long file names

Just Joined!
    Ok the nautilus worked it opens a folder i can then go to my folder destination and drag and drop the files into that folder that way. Why does it work that way for? kinda annoying :P.. now i just need to figure my windows issue on opening folders on the nas device.

It works that way because you are using the root user too move the files. You have permissions issues that need to be resolved. Maybe use samba for file sharing or use the chmod command to change the file permissions on the Linux box.