Find the answer to your Linux question:
So, I'd like to start off by apologizing for being yet another hapless Linux newbie. Between school and my social life, I've hardly had the time to learn more than ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Xfburn help needed

So, I'd like to start off by apologizing for being yet another hapless Linux newbie. Between school and my social life, I've hardly had the time to learn more than the bare bones of Linux functionality (Running Wine, unpacking .rars, et cetera), so what I'm saying here is that I'm quite dumb with tech-speak, so please, small words if possible. I lay myself at the mercy of your superior technical knowledge, o wise ones.

Now, onto the actual issue; I have thus far made several unsuccessful attempts to use Xfburn to burn an image file onto a DVD (Memorex 4.7 gig DVD-RW, if it matters), but whenever I attempt to open Xfburn, I get the message, "No burners are currently available. Possibly the disc(s) are in use, and cannot get accessed. Please unmount and restart the application. If no disc is in the drive, check that you have read and write access to the drive with the current user." Neither the "Burn Image" nor "Blank Disc" options are selectable, and I sort of need the first one in a bad way. If anyone can help me, I'd really appreciate it; PlayonLinux hasn't worked thus far (I'm trying to play a copy of Star Wars: KOToR a buddy of mine backed-up as image files on my computer a few years back, and as I said, I'm quite dumb with Linux), and I have no clue what to do without a hard copy. Thanks ahead of time, friends.

oz
    forum.guy
    Hello

I don't use xfburn so can't give much advice on it, but make sure that it's configured properly to work with your cd/dvd drive. In my case, that would be /dev/sr0 (that's a zero on the end). Otherwise, it won't be able to find your burning tool.
    oz

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by oz View Post
    Hello

I don't use xfburn so can't give much advice on it, but make sure that it's configured properly to work with your cd/dvd drive. In my case, that would be /dev/sr0 (that's a zero on the end). Otherwise, it won't be able to find your burning tool.
    Well oz, that sounds...dangerously logical. I'll be sure to try it; thanks for the advice!

I have had trouble with xfburn, so always use brasero (available in the repositories) instead. Make sure you also check that the drive you are using is a dvd burner and not a cd burner or dvd rom, yep, I've done that before. You can also try another brand of media, some burners don't like certain brands, or certain discs. Sometimes trying a different disc, even within the same brand will work. Also make sure the disc is clean, and not scratched.
    Registered Linux user #526930