Find the answer to your Linux question:
Oh, hey there forum. So, ah...guess which idiot needs help again? Alright, so here's my issue; I was previously running Wine 1.4 on Lubuntu and everything was going awesome, until ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Wine help needed

Oh, hey there forum. So, ah...guess which idiot needs help again?

Alright, so here's my issue; I was previously running Wine 1.4 on Lubuntu and everything was going awesome, until I left my PC on overnight so it could finish downloading a video file (Fifteen minutes isn't a very long wait, but it was 3 AM and I ran out of coffee). Now, whenever I attempt to use Wine to run a .exe command, everything slows down for a moment like it's running the program, but then a window comes up titled "Error" that says, quite unhelpfully in my opinion, "Path Not Found", and nothing else. To the best of my knowledge, none of my Wine software was altered overnight, and I've already attempted completely removing and reinstalling every Wine file I had downloaded through the Synaptic Package Manager, but I get the same error message every time. It would be a real shame if all the work that I've gone through--and I'm sure, have yet to go through--to get my stupid copy of KOToR running was wasted because Wine decided to break without even asking me first. As before, any help is greatly appreciated.

EDIT: Oh, I've also attemped downloading Wine 1.5, but that didn't help at all and I've since removed it like I did 1.4.

Linux Guru
    How are you trying to run whatever program? I haven't used wine for years and don't have it installed so I can't verify anything. My recollection is that there is a hidden wine folder in the user directory and the programs are inside it. What I used to do is right click the icon for the program and in the window which opened there would be a list of programs to use to run and an entry line at the top where I would type "wine". That usually worked. I'm sure there are other ways. Have you checked the path to where the program actually is? or where it is expected to be? Hopefully someone with a little more knowledge of wine will come along.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by yancek View Post
    How are you trying to run whatever program? I haven't used wine for years and don't have it installed so I can't verify anything. My recollection is that there is a hidden wine folder in the user directory and the programs are inside it. What I used to do is right click the icon for the program and in the window which opened there would be a list of programs to use to run and an entry line at the top where I would type "wine". That usually worked. I'm sure there are other ways. Have you checked the path to where the program actually is? or where it is expected to be? Hopefully someone with a little more knowledge of wine will come along.
    What I generally did was simply right-click the .exe file and a list of programs/things I could do with it would show up, (Open, Rename, Compress, Archive Manager, etc.), and I would simply choose "Wine Windows Program Loader". As for your recommendation to check the path, well...I kind of have no idea how to do that. It was my computer guy, Joe, who set me up with Lubuntu (And Mint before that) and, aside from times such as this, I have to admit that I prefer Linux vastly over Windows. Unfortunately, that also means I have very little technical knowledge. I've read a few user's guides and such, but I'm generally too afraid that I'll set my computer on fire somehow should I try anything more risky than rearranging some files or downloading a software package through Terminal. So, could you give me an idea as to how I could trace the path? After all, it seems as if every new bit of knowledge I come across improves my experience significantly.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    If you are using a newer version of Ubuntu, click on the Folder icon on the left side of the screen. When it opens, go to /home/user (whatever your actual user name is) and at the top you should have a View tab and clicking on that should give you some options which includes "Show Hidden Files". I seem to remember wine being a hidden file (??) and you should be able to search in that wine directory for whatever program you are looking for.

Take a look at the link below which basically describes the same thing, go to number 7:

How to Use Wine on Linux: 14 steps - wikiHow

Wine should be a hidden folder and when you see it, there will be a period/dot (.) in front of it indicating it is a hidden file. As I said, I haven't had wine installed for years so I don't know that I'll be much more help. If you still have problems, I would use google to search "how to use wine on Linux" or something similar. Perhaps someone who has more familiarity will see your thread?

Just Joined!
    Ah, thank you, Yancek. I moved the requisite files over to the Program Files folder and they are indeed working again. I still need some type of fix regarding the fact that I can no longer right-click .exe files and run them from their current location, but this should be a very handy band-aid solution until then. I don't really consider the problem completely solved until I can pinpoint why I lost full functionality and restore it, but your advice really did come in handy. Thank you very much.