Find the answer to your Linux question:
Ubuntu 12.04 desktop 64bit Movie on web browser is jumping and without sound. This happens after changing the display: Previous display - Samsung with HDMI input Current display - Philips ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Guru

No sound on browser video

Ubuntu 12.04 desktop 64bit

Movie on web browser is jumping and without sound.

This happens after changing the display:
    Previous display - Samsung with HDMI input
    Current display - Philips without HDMI input

System Settings -> Sound -> Output
    Change from:
    HDMI / DisplayPort
    To:
    Analog Output
    Built-in Audio

-> Test Sound
    Left / Right
    works without problem.

.flv can be played with Movie Player, no jumping and with sound.

Please advise where shall I check to correct this problem? TIA

B.R.
    satimis

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    I have this problem on my RHEL 6 clone system (Scientific Linux 6) as well. The solution is to STOP (not just mute) all running audio streams, reload the browser page, and try again. That works for me. It is a PITA, and is a bug in the current versions of the ALSA drivers. I have reported the bug to the ALSA group, but nothing has been done in the year since I reported it... Other than this work-around, I don't know what else to do! At least I can get audio in YouTube and other embedded videos that way!

FWIW, I can have multiple audio streams working just fine externally from a browser, such as a video in Kaffeine or VLC, an audio stream in VLC, etc. It is just the browsers that are brain-dead about this. Maybe it is how they (Firefox and Chrome) are using the audio api's? Don't know and don't have the time to suss it out.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Rubberman View Post
    I have this problem on my RHEL 6 clone system (Scientific Linux 6) as well. The solution is to STOP (not just mute) all running audio streams, reload the browser page, and try again. That works for me. It is a PITA, and is a bug in the current versions of the ALSA drivers. I have reported the bug to the ALSA group, but nothing has been done in the year since I reported it... Other than this work-around, I don't know what else to do! At least I can get audio in YouTube and other embedded videos that way!

FWIW, I can have multiple audio streams working just fine externally from a browser, such as a video in Kaffeine or VLC, an audio stream in VLC, etc. It is just the browsers that are brain-dead about this. Maybe it is how they (Firefox and Chrome) are using the audio api's? Don't know and don't have the time to suss it out.
    Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

It is working normal now on this PC. I haven't done anything on it. I'm not aware of its cause. Niether I have time to investigate it.

I have another PC, newly built, running ASUS M5A97R2.0 motherboard with Realtek chipset for Audio. I have spent 3 days trying to get sound to work without success. Then I install Fedora 17 desktop 64bit. Sound works without probllem.

satimis

Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Rubberman View Post

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

It is working normal now on this PC. I haven't done anything on it. I'm not aware of its cause. Niether I have time to investigate it.

I have another PC, newly built, running ASUS M5A97R2.0 motherboard with Realtek chipset for Audio. I have spent 3 days trying to get sound to work without success. Then I install Fedora 17 desktop 64bit. Sound works without probllem.

satimis