Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I've installed Ubuntu Linux on pc and I changed the timeout on GNU GRUB from 5 seconds to 0. Now, I don't know how to call the menu and ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

How to call Gnu grub menu?

Hi,

I've installed Ubuntu Linux on pc and I changed the timeout on GNU GRUB from 5 seconds to 0. Now, I don't know how to call the menu and my pc start always from windows XP.

Help?

Thanks,
    Nuno.

Hello and Welcome!

During startup, you should be able to hit Esc or Tab to access the Grub menu.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by jayd512 View Post
    Hello and Welcome!

During startup, you should be able to hit Esc or Tab to access the Grub menu.

I tried tab and esc and nothing change, after the star I have black screen with a msg " input not supported" and if press enter the windows xp will star.

Linux Guru
    Boot the Ubuntu Live CD and mount the partition on which thee Ubuntu files are. If you don't know, after booting the CD, open a terminal and run the command: sudo fdisk -l(Lowercase Letter L in the command) and post the output here.

If you can mount the partition, navigate to the /etc/default/grub file in a text editor as root; Example: sudo gedit /etc/default/grub
    That should open the file. Change the GRUB_TIMEOUT line to 5, 10 or whatever you want. Scroll down in the file to this line and remove the hash mark(#) from the left:

#GRUB_GFXMODE=640x480
    That should take care of the Input Not Supported message. If you need more detailed assistance, post back.
    If you are able to then boot Ubuntu, log in to a terminal and run sudo update-grub.