Find the answer to your Linux question:
Besides upgrading, what else can you do when Ubuntu 12.10 ends in 2014. Do you really need to upgrade?...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

What to do when Ubuntu support ends?

Besides upgrading, what else can you do when Ubuntu 12.10 ends in 2014. Do you really need to upgrade?

Linux Guru
    You can use it as long as it works, it just means you won't have updates available. Why do you use 12.10 when support for 12.04 goes through April, 2017?

Just Joined!
    Actually I don't, that's just an example. Right now I'm using Semplice Linux, but I'm always switching

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by Sharpghost6 View Post
    Besides upgrading, what else can you do when Ubuntu 12.10 ends in 2014. Do you really need to upgrade?
    Like yancek noted above, you can use any distro as long as it continues to satisfy your needs. Upgrades are not a requirement, so the possibility of having outdated applications and maybe some potential security issues would be the main drawbacks to continuing to use obsolete versions of any distribution. Otherwise, you can keep on booting it until it's no longer compatible with whatever hardware you are running in the future. Migrating to a newer release or to a different distribution would be other feasible options.
    oz

Linux Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by Sharpghost6 View Post
    If you want security updates from your repos, then yes.

That's why I recommend downloading the LTS releases if you're going with ubuntu. They have a 3 year support cycle.

Linux Guru
    Ubuntu has changed the support time for 12.04 to 5 years for both Desktop and Server. Kubuntu 12.04 and Mint 13 are also 5 years, Xubuntu 12.04 is still 3 years.

Linux Engineer
    Even better! Good to know, thanks.