Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
ok so i got my HD to pop up. Now i need to get it to go in as root. Im now using mint. I know they aren't to different ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

ok so i got my HD to pop up. Now i need to get it to go in as root. Im now using mint. I know they aren't to different in Terminal. It shows that they are locked. BUT i can access, look thru, copy, BUT not delete. Says that the files are owned by root. How do i log in as root?
    Also forgot to mention: I got test disk and it seems to be a good with retrieval
    Last edited by Tarrabyte; 12-20-2012 at 02:07 AM. Reason: messup

root login is disabled in Ubuntu and its derivatives by default. You can gain root privileges through sudo in Terminal.
    Try this :
    Press Alt+F2 and type gksu nautilus command window. Nautilus will open with root privileges. Navigate to your External Harddisk folder in Nautilus. Make sure not to delete/modify any file of your Linux System.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!
    OK im on MINT now, and sense its a pretty close match to Ubuntu, i am going to try to do what you said BUT i will need some help. Can you email me?
    hopefully we can skype and ill share my screen and you tell me if im doing everything right. And then i can move the files around.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2