Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Originally Posted by eionmac 1. With older laptops there is a need to do a 'clean of fans' and cooling system. Also maybe the 'compound' between the CPU and cooler ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Quote Originally Posted by eionmac View Post
    1. With older laptops there is a need to do a 'clean of fans' and cooling system. Also maybe the 'compound' between the CPU and cooler (or GPU may need to be refreshed.
    I buy second hand old laptop machines to load as Linux experimental units and most were abandoned due to heat shut down problems in Windows due to dust clogging exchangers /fans etc. Cleaning makes them useable. However old laptops due RAM limits do not like many services at once and especially graphics cards and the linux swop system seems to place more loads (read /write) that the windows page system.
    2. Use a 'light' windows manager such as LPDE or XFCE or Enlightenment.
    3. Use OpenSUSE with XFCE windows manager.
    1. Since I can use the laptop without any problem running Windows, I don't think that'll be the issue. In Windows, I clearly hear the cooling fan(s) spinning up when I put stress on CPU and GPU and they're always able to get it back to normal working temperatures. Furthermore, the laptop has 4Gb of RAM, should be sufficient no?

2. Tried Xubuntu with XFCE but than it just takes some longer untill it gets overheated. The moment I put stress on the CPU/GPU, it heats up and shuts downn.

3. See 2, I don't think that's the main issue.

I need to find out how to adress and correctly controll the cooling fan.

It looks like all Toshiba laptops have overheating problem especially with Debian based distros. A lot of Toshiba lappy owners have reported same problem. Google search listed a few solutions too but none is perfect.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by devils casper View Post
    It looks like all Toshiba laptops have overheating problem especially with Debian based distros. A lot of Toshiba lappy owners have reported same problem. Google search listed a few solutions too but none is perfect.
    Well then I'll try some Fedora or Suse falvours to see withone works best.
    It's a pitty Toshiba doesn't support Linux

Just Joined!
    I have a older P775-S7320 Toshiba. I have went through several versions of Fedora and now on Fedora 18. I guess I am lucky because I have never had a heat issue.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2