Find the answer to your Linux question:
My father in law just installed ubuntu 12.4 on my new Lenovo z580 laptop. I got an HP X4000b bluetooth mouse. Everytime i reboot it i have to reconnect it ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Bluetooth Mouse wont stay connected

My father in law just installed ubuntu 12.4 on my new Lenovo z580 laptop.
    I got an HP X4000b bluetooth mouse. Everytime i reboot it i have to reconnect it and everytime the screen saver comes on or it sleeps/hibernates. Which makes leads me to belive it is the OS.

Can this be fixed so that it automatically connects?

It's remaining paired, but it doesn't auto connect, is that right?

There should be an option in the settings for the paired devices that let you set it as authorized to connect automatically. Even with this on it can take a few seconds or more to connect. The problem is that on power off to the Bluetooth shuts off and connected devices will (normally) close down their signal too and have to be woken manually. You might have a bios setting that controls the power to the USB BT or built-in BT that perhaps might help - but you'll run down the batteries in your mouse quicker if you turn this on.
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/

Just Joined!
    yes, it is paired but if i have to reconnect it everytime I restart it or the screen sever comes on. I might just exchange it for a regular wireless with the small usb dangle.

Quote Originally Posted by Chadwilliam1 View Post
    yes, it is paired but if i have to reconnect it everytime I restart it or the screen sever comes on. I might just exchange it for a regular wireless with the small usb dangle.
    I had the same problem with an Asus Emachine, and a Logitech wireless mouse. I just updated to 12.10 Ubuntu, and the non-pairing issue went away. The mouse is always paired on boot.

Just Joined!
    so when you start up your computer the mouse pairs automatically? What is all involved in upgrading to 12.10?

also without starting a new thread how do i add icons to the desktop? I am coming from version 10 so this is quite a change.
    thanks

To upgrade, you should only need to start the Update Manager, then it will check foir updates, and tell you that there is an upgrade to 12.10 available.
    The process can take an hour, depending on your internet connection, and the speed of your laptop.
    You might want to try the Cinnamon desktop, over the default Unity one. Install latest Cinnamon 1.6.4 in Ubuntu 12.10/12.04/Linux Mint (New Release) ~ Noobs on Ubuntu and Windows, HD Wallpapers, Tutorials
    It has a much more familiar look and feel, and is highly configurable.
    Adding icons to the default Unity desktop can be problematic, which is partly why I chose Cinnamon. Simply right-click ion a menu item, select 'add to desktop'.

Just Joined!
    thank you I will look into this.

Just to let you know: Distro Upgrades are infamous for going wrong. You may be biting off more than you chew; especially if you're are new at digging in to what makes the system work. If you're not married to your current install you can just back up your data and install 12.10. But, it will only get security updates for the next 3 year until April 2014; whereas 12.04 will get updates until April 2017.

As a part of Canonical's efforts to become more main stream they have increased the length of time they support LTS releases. 12.04 is an LTS. They have also decided to repackage the kernel for all new versions for the next 5 years and make them backwards compatible with 12.04. A newer kernel is the part of an "upgrade" that supports your hardware better, *or not*. As the case may be. But, Canonical decided to do this to increase hardware support for businesses because it is much less risky to upgrade a repackaged / tested for backwards compatibility kernel than to upgrade the whole system.

So, if it's a new install and you haven't done much to it yet you can just install 12.10 after backing up your data.

If you've done lots of custom stuff and don't want to lose it, or you want updates for the next 5 years, you can upgrade the kernel using the info on this page.

Probably the safest (but not without risks) method is the 3rd one down, using synaptic.

Code:
    sudo apt-get install synaptic
    will install synpatic, if you don't already have it.

Keep the old kernel around for a bit before you delete it; test the new kernel and make sure everything works first. You can do a Google for the proper methods to clean up old kernels after you finish testing.
    Last edited by Steven_G; 12-28-2012 at 12:47 AM. Reason: typo