Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
I am not too concerned about recovering my data although I would like to try. I don't care really about restoring windows, I just want to get it up and ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

I am not too concerned about recovering my data although I would like to try. I don't care really about restoring windows, I just want to get it up and running with Linux. Thank you Steven G and yancek for such great solutions! It's important to have people to advise to, especially when I'm just learning about this kind of stuff. I shall see what i can do and let you know

Well if you want to blow off windows then things just got a whole lot easier. You'll need a couple of things though; namely two usb devices to use at the same time with one of them being big enough to hold your data.

Example: Use a USB stick with Unetbootin / Ubuntu Rescue Remix to boot your machine and do the data recovery and a USB hard drive to move the data to. (Or one or two of the really big, new USB sticks.)

After the data is backed up change your Unetbootin stick to Lubuntu or Xubuntu and during the install tell it to use the whole disk and wipe everything else off. This will also *permanently delete* your doze recovery partition.

After installing Ubuntu copy your data back to the machine and you're done.

Also, a good practice: When you set up any OS you should always set aside a separate partition for your data. It makes recovery and repair a lot easier. In *nix your data partition is "/home".

Quote Originally Posted by mcriegel View Post
    I am not too concerned about recovering my data although I would like to try. I don't care really about restoring windows, I just want to get it up and running with Linux. Thank you Steven G and yancek for such great solutions! It's important to have people to advise to, especially when I'm just learning about this kind of stuff. I shall see what i can do and let you know
    For new users, its recommended to setup dual boot instead of removing Windows OS and install Linux only. Linux is not Windows and sometimes, its steep learning curve.

Anyways, for installing Linux, just create a Bootable USB using Universal USB Installer available at Pendrivelinux.com. Boot up from USB and follow instructions. Ubuntu installer is new users friendly and you won't face any problem.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2