Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hi there, I have been wanting to experiment with the Linux operating system for a while so I decided I would load Ubuntu on my Acer Aspire One Netbook. It ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Problem loading Ubuntu on Acer netbook

Hi there,
    I have been wanting to experiment with the Linux operating system for a while so I decided I would load Ubuntu on my Acer Aspire One Netbook. It seemed to have installed completely, I even got to the Linux desktop once. However, now every time I try to boot up the machine, it gives me an error saying there's no Bootable Disk. I'm assuming this means I haven't installed it correctly. How can I get it back to the way it was, for example starting the machine in windows? Let me also add that the Alt + f10 solution only takes me to the same error message screen, but I can access the Setup Utility by pressing f2. the D2D recovery is enabled so I'm not sure why the alt+f10 isn't allowing me to recovery boot the computer. Thanks in advance

Linux Guru
    Which release of Ubuntu? 12.10? earlier?
    Is Ubuntu the only operating system on the computer?
    How did you install it? Acer Aspire Notebooks usually don't have a CD drive, did you use a bootable flash drive?
    Use whatever medium (CD, flash drive) you had Ubuntu on to install and boot it and open a terminal. You can do that by holding down the Ctrl+Alt+t keys simultaneously. Type in the following command: sudo fdisk -l(Lower case Letter L in the command) and post the output here.

Post answers to the above questions if you want help.

Just Joined!
    I downloaded Ubuntu 12.10 from ubuntu.com/download/desktop.
    I downloaded it, proceeded through the installation, and it prompted me to restart. So I did. And now the machine will not boot. The computer came with Windows so I don't see why there isn't an option for me to re-boot it using this.

Quote Originally Posted by mcriegel View Post
    I downloaded Ubuntu 12.10 from ubuntu.com/download/desktop.
    I downloaded it, proceeded through the installation, and it prompted me to restart. So I did. And now the machine will not boot. The computer came with Windows so I don't see why there isn't an option for me to re-boot it using this.

Because windoze does not play well with others. You did not answer yancek's questions. It will make it a lot easier for people to help you if you provide them with the info they request. This is actually a pretty common situation that can be caused by several different things and can *usually* be fixed rather easily. But the exact details of how to repair it will depend on what went wrong.

Just Joined!
    I did answer his questions. The problem is that I can't perform the last task he asked me to because I didn't install it with a CD or a flash drive. I simply downloaded a file from ubuntu.com. Therefore I have no access to the file I downloaded.

Hi and Welcome !

It looks like you have installed Ubuntu inside Windows OS ( wubi install ).
    First of all, fix Windows OS. Which version of Windows OS are you using? Do you have its installation/recovery CD/CVD?
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!
    Thanks for the welcome!
    This Acer netbook came installed with Windows XP. Unfortunately it does not have a CD drive so I can't recover that way. A friend of mine suggested I create a bootable stick from which to run Ubuntu on the corrupted machine. I am wondering how I am going to do this though..

Do you want to recover Windows XP/Data or wipe your Hard disk and install Ubuntu only?
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

You've gotten yourself in to a situation that could be very easy to fix or very hard; depending on what you want to do.

The aspire does not come with a recovery dvd. It has one (kind of) built in to the hard drive. But, you can't get to it because you've blown up the Master Boot Record(MBR). No worries, it happens; especially when you're learning. I've blown up at least a dozen MBRs over the years.

Yes, you will need to boot in from an outside USB device. It can be a stick or a DVD drive. You can change the boot order in the BIOS.

I own an aspire. It's been about three years since I messed with UNetbootin from a USB stick on my aspire. I had nothing but headaches and heartburn. That could be because I was learning or because the software was not up to par or just because aspires are a headache in general when doing this kind of stuff. I think it was the last.

Either way you'll need to go to another computer that is working and build something to boot with. You can try UNetbootin from a USB stick, maybe the software has gotten better? But, from my experience I would suggest you go with a DVD drive. You can get one for about $20, if no one has one you can borrow.

Then you need to decide what to do.

If you want to recover windows you're looking at a loooooot of very deep, very technical work.

If you want to recover data you're looking at a little, slightly technical work.

If you just want to wipe it clean and start over you're looking at a fairly easy job. But, you'll lose the ability to put windows back on the machine unless you buy an XP install disc and a DVD drive.

For data or windows recovery I would suggest you use the Ubuntu Rescue Remix for your bootable media.

If you want to start over from scratch (or once you get around to installing Ubuntu after you fix windows) I would recommend one of the lightweight Ubuntu distros like Lubuntu ot Xubuntu.

Linux Guru
    If you can't access the Recovery partition for the Acer xp partition, you will need to use another computer to create a bootable usb. I've used unetbootin without problems in the past and have installed different Linux systems on an Acer Aspire One. I've never used wubi as it installs inside windows and is supposed to create an entry in the windows boot file for Ubuntu. Ssomething apparently went wrong in that process although you indicate you did boot once.

Since I've never used wubi, I don't know why you would get the "no bootable disk" error.
    What I would suggest is to use unetbootin or pendrive Linux to create a bootable flash drive. They both have versions for windows and Linux so pick the correct one.
    Once you are able to boot the disk with Ubuntu(?) or whichever distro you choose, post the output of the fdisk command suggested above and they go to the site below, read the directions in the Description box, download and run the 'bootinfoscript' and post the output, a results.txt file here. That will give detailed information on your drives/partitions and boot files and someone may be able to suggest a way to repair without re-installing.

I would also suggest you take notes of the step during the installation in case their are problems. Better to have this info and not need it than to need it and not have it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast