Find the answer to your Linux question:
As I stated in another recent post I'm in the process of migrating primary user profiles because it was the only way I could figure out how to fix some ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Possible to comment out a folder?

As I stated in another recent post I'm in the process of migrating primary user profiles because it was the only way I could figure out how to fix some issues that cropped up when I was experimenting with some pulseaudio / HDMI stuff.

I *think* I've got everything fixed but one thing. (Different post.)

And I was just going to delete the old user profile. But, then I got to thinking (bad habit that): What if I've missed something? What if it turns out there's something in there I need?

So, my idea was to comment out the old users home folder just like I would a line in a config file that I don't want to execute. That way the system won't "see" the folder. But I can keep it around for a bit til I'm satisifed I don't need it any more.

Problem is I have no idea if it's possible or how to do it and Google hasn't turned up anything.

Never mind. I found chmod. But, I don't want to end up locking myself completely out of the file if I goof up. So I'll just copy it to my back up drive before I delete it.

Just Joined!
    If you set 3 (write and execute) on permissions, you can write to and enter the folder, but only if you specify the folder specifically, i.e. you can't see it with ls or a file browser, but you can edit files by naming them directly in a command line.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close