Find the answer to your Linux question:
While fixing fouled up user permissions I fixed one problem and created another. When I try to play some, but not all, songs in Banshee the wrong song is randomly ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Banshee randomly playing wrong song

While fixing fouled up user permissions I fixed one problem and created another.

When I try to play some, but not all, songs in Banshee the wrong song is randomly replayed. It is always the same songs clicked that create the error, but the song played is not always the same.

In other words click "smoke on the water" and "love in an elevator" will play. Exit / restart / "click smoke on the" water and "whiskey in the jar-o" will play.

On a quick test of about 5% of my song inventory the error occured on about 25% of tested songs.

I did about 10 minutes worth of quick system testing on the rest of the contents in my home folder: .mov, .doc, ,jpeg, .xls, etc and they all worked fine.

I also randomly checked about 10% of the installed programs and they all worked. And functions inside of programs worked, like changing preferences.

As far as I can tell the only issue is with some songs not playing properly in Banshee.

I've tried purging the library from inside Banshee and reloading it.

I've tried purging Banshee and reinstalling it.

I've tried reinstalling the codecs.

I've tried setting all permissions on the home folder with:
    Code:
    sudo chown -R user:group /home/*
    because some of the folders and songs still had their old group listed in the GUI. (new setting is new default user and her group, both same name).

Is the music supposed to belong to root or something to play back correctly? Or is something else going on?

Note: I did not have this problem before moving the new primary user / default admin profile in to the sudo group and disabling the old default admin profile. I know because I was listening to music while working. So there is a permission error somewhere.

OK, this is the wife's machine and while I sat her working she made a good catch:

The problem is confined to a subset of .wma files, which is most but not all .wma's. The problem does not seem to effect mp3's.

More info:

Banshee is cross-linking random wma files from a corrupted / malformed / wrong permission (?) wma to another of the same type.

In other words, a subset of wma's somehow got linked to each other and when you try to play one in the group it starts a different wma in that group.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    OK, *EXACT* problem:

All of the wma's recorded in Bitrate:128 KBit/s / Samplerate:44100 Hz format somehow became linked to each other. All wma's recorded in any other format and all other media formats are working fine.

How in the world would that happen and how in the heck do I fix it?

BTW, all of the media files, both fouled up and working correctly share all the same user and group permissions. So, evidently, I was wrong about it being a permission error.

Some how when I copied all the media files from user1 to user2 all of the 128KB wma's got linked together.