Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I am new to the forum and to Linux. I was trying to install Ubuntu 12.10 64bit on my macbook pro on a partition so I could continue using ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Ubuntu fatal error grub2 bootloader installation failed

Hi, I am new to the forum and to Linux.

I was trying to install Ubuntu 12.10 64bit on my macbook pro on a partition so I could continue using OSX. Towards the end of installation I got an error msg warning me that the grub2 bootloader had failed to install. I am not entirely sure where to go from here. I opted for manually installing grub2 bootloader but from here on I am not to sure how to proceed.

I found the following website but it is for the 11.04 version, since I am new I cant post the link but here is how it goes:

"Boot to the LiveCD Desktop (Ubuntu 9.10 or later). Please note that the Live CD must be the same as the system you are fixing – either 32-bit or 64-bit (if not then the chroot will fail).
    Open a terminal – Applications, Accessories, Terminal.
    Determine your normal system partition – (the switch is a lowercase “L”)sudo fdisk -l
    If you aren’t sure, rundf -Th. Look for the correct disk size and ext3 or ext4 format.
    Mount your normal system partition:
    Substitute the correct partition: sda1, sdb5, etc.
    sudo mount /dev/sdXX /mnt # Example: sudo mount /dev/sda1 /mnt

Only if you have a separate boot partition:
    sdYY is the /boot partition designation (for example sdb3)
    sudo mount /dev/sdYY /mnt/boot
    Mount the critical virtual filesystems:sudo mount --bind /dev /mnt/dev
    sudo mount --bind /dev/pts /mnt/dev/pts
    sudo mount --bind /proc /mnt/proc
    sudo mount --bind /sys /mnt/sys
    Chroot into your normal system device:sudo chroot /mnt
    If there is no /boot/grub/grub.cfg or it’s not correct, create one usingupdate-grub
    Reinstall GRUB 2:
    Substitute the correct device – sda, sdb, etc. Do not specify a partition number.
    grub-install /dev/sdX

Verify the install (use the correct device, for example sda. Do not specify a partition): sudo grub-install --recheck /dev/sdX
    Exit chroot: CTRL-D on keyboard
    Unmount virtual filesystems:sudo umount /mnt/dev/pts
    sudo umount /mnt/dev
    sudo umount /mnt/proc
    sudo umount /mnt/sys
    If you mounted a separate /boot partition:sudo umount /mnt/boot
    Unmount the LiveCD’s /usr directory:sudo umount /mnt/usr
    Unmount last device:sudo umount /mnt
    Reboot.sudo reboot"

would this also work for the new version?

Also even if I did have to follow these instructions I am still completely lost to which partition I should replace in the instructions.

here are my partitions:

/dev/disk0
    #: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER
    0: GUID_partition_scheme *750.2 GB disk0

1: EFI 209.7 MB disk0s1
    2: Apple_HFS Macintosh HD 709.2 GB disk0s2
    3: Apple_Boot Recovery HD 650.0 MB disk0s3
    4: 21686148-6449-6E6F-744E-656564454649 1.0 MB disk0s4
    5: Microsoft Basic Data 31.6 GB disk0s5
    6: Linux Swap 8.5 GB disk0s6

I am completely lost as to what this 1.0MB partition is.

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Linux Guru
    It would be more helpful if you can boot the Ubuntu CD and when you get to a Desktop, open a terminal to run the fdisk command suggested above. You should be able to access a terminal by simultaneously holding down the Ctrl+Alt+t keys. When the window opens type: sudo fdisk -l(that is a lower case Letter L in the command). Post the output here. The output at the end of your post shows several partitions, none of which could contain a Linux filesystem. You do have an 8GB swap partition which is way more than you will use. I would also suggest that while you are in the terminal, you run this command: df -h and post that output. That will give more detailed info on the size of partitions.