Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have huge problems with my newly upgraded Ubuntu 12.10. I lost my display driver (my fault) and I can now reach the basic VESA 600x800 display only. This is ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Ubuntu 12.10 and Nvidia drivers for Geforce 6600

I have huge problems with my newly upgraded Ubuntu 12.10.

I lost my display driver (my fault) and I can now reach the basic VESA 600x800 display only. This is a problem since I cannot even start the applications because I cannot see them because of this low graphic.

I tried to download and install new display driver but the installation routine claimed that the kernel 3.2.... (from Linux 12.04) doesn't support this driver.

Then I downloaded and installed a new kernel 3.6.2-generic
    but the display didn't work either.

Then I tried to install the new nvidia driver but the installation routine claimed that everything is already included in the new kernel.

How could i proceed?
    - How to install the working driver for Geforce 6600
    - what kernel should I use in my 32 bit machine?

/Leevi

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Quote Originally Posted by Leevi View Post
    I have huge problems with my newly upgraded Ubuntu 12.10.

I lost my display driver (my fault) and I can now reach the basic VESA 600x800 display only. This is a problem since I cannot even start the applications because I cannot see them because of this low graphic.

I tried to download and install new display driver but the installation routine claimed that the kernel 3.2.... (from Linux 12.04) doesn't support this driver.

Then I downloaded and installed a new kernel 3.6.2-generic
    but the display didn't work either.

Then I tried to install the new nvidia driver but the installation routine claimed that everything is already included in the new kernel.

How could i proceed?
    - How to install the working driver for Geforce 6600
    - what kernel should I use in my 32 bit machine?

/Leevi
    Install the nVidia proprietary driver from the nVidia web site (NOT the one in the Synaptic/Aptitude repositories) - you may need to blacklist the Nouveau driver first.

Also, FWIW, the VESA driver should support at least up to 1600x1200 display resolution, though you may need to edit your /etc/X11/xorg.conf file to allow that.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

And you should purge the old driver and clean your system before you install the new driver.