Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have been working to find an optimal bare metal backup strategy and would like som input on my current setup. I have one big root partition where ubuntu and ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

My backup strategy - feedback wanted

I have been working to find an optimal bare metal backup strategy and would like som input on my current setup.

I have one big root partition where ubuntu and everything is installed. What I do now is as follows:
    1) Flush mysql databases and lock all tables.
    2) Create a lvm snapshot and mount it
    3) Unlock mysql
    3) tar everything on the lvm snapshot and store on a NAS
    4) dd the lvm snapshot partition to an image file and store it on a the NAS
    5) Unmount and erase the lvm snapshot

What I have running on the machine is apache, mysql, ftp, samba and some small programs.

Is this sufficient if the disk fails and I need to do a complete restore? I then plan on inserting a new disk, boot up and dd the image file to the new disk. Will everything be up again then? Or do I have to do something in fdisk and grub or anything?

Any input would be great! Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mkander View Post
    I have been working to find an optimal bare metal backup strategy and would like som input on my current setup.

I have one big root partition where ubuntu and everything is installed. What I do now is as follows:
    1) Flush mysql databases and lock all tables.
    2) Create a lvm snapshot and mount it
    3) Unlock mysql
    3) tar everything on the lvm snapshot and store on a NAS
    4) dd the lvm snapshot partition to an image file and store it on a the NAS
    5) Unmount and erase the lvm snapshot

What I have running on the machine is apache, mysql, ftp, samba and some small programs.

Is this sufficient if the disk fails and I need to do a complete restore? I then plan on inserting a new disk, boot up and dd the image file to the new disk. Will everything be up again then? Or do I have to do something in fdisk and grub or anything?

Any input would be great! Thanks

Or you can simply use
    mysqldump -u userName -pPassword yourDatabaseName | gzip -v > /NAS_LOCATION/database-`date`.gz

Jazak Allah,
    Sohail