Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi all, Am getting error when updating my ubuntu machine(10.04) Code: root@pbl099-CQ3551IX:~# apt-get update Hit http://dl.google.com stable Release.gpg Ign http://dl.google.com/linux/chrome/deb/ stable/main Translation-en Ign http://dl.google.com/linux/chrome/deb/ stable/main Translation-en_IN Hit http://dl.google.com stable Release ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Regd: apt-get update problem

Hi all,

Am getting error when updating my ubuntu machine(10.04)

Code:
    root@pbl099-CQ3551IX:~# apt-get update
    Hit http://dl.google.com stable Release.gpg
    Ign http://dl.google.com/linux/chrome/deb/ stable/main Translation-en                                                                                                 
    Ign http://dl.google.com/linux/chrome/deb/ stable/main Translation-en_IN                                                                                              
    Hit http://dl.google.com stable Release                                                                                                                               
    Ign Ubuntu security notices | Ubuntu maverick-security Release.gpg                                                                                                          
    Ign Index of /ubuntu maverick-security/main Translation-en                                                                                         
    Ign Index of /ubuntu maverick-security/main Translation-en_IN                                                                                       
    Ign Index of /ubuntu maverick-security/multiverse Translation-en                                                                                    
    Ign Index of /ubuntu maverick-security/multiverse Translation-en_IN                                                                                 
    Ign Index of /ubuntu maverick-security/restricted Translation-en                                                                                    
    Ign Index of /ubuntu maverick-security/restricted Translation-en_IN                                                                                 
    Ign Index of /ubuntu maverick-security/universe Translation-en                                                                                      
    Ign Index of /ubuntu maverick-security/universe Translation-en_IN                                                                                   
    Ign Index of / maverick Release.gpg                                                                                                                 
    Ign Index of /ubuntu maverick/main Translation-en                                                                                                 
    Ign Index of /ubuntu maverick/main Translation-en_IN                                                                                              
    Ign Index of /ubuntu maverick/multiverse Translation-en                                                                                           
    Ign Index of /ubuntu maverick/multiverse Translation-en_IN                                                                                        
    Ign Index of /ubuntu maverick/restricted Translation-en                                                                                           
    Ign Index of /ubuntu maverick/restricted Translation-en_IN                                                                                        
    Ign Index of /ubuntu maverick/universe Translation-en                                                                                             
    Ign Index of /ubuntu maverick/universe Translation-en_IN                                                                                          
    Ign Index of / maverick-updates Release.gpg                                                                                                         
    Hit Index of / maverick Release.gpg                                                                                                                 
    Ign Index of /ubuntu maverick/partner Translation-en                                                                                              
    Ign Index of /ubuntu maverick/partner Translation-en_IN                                                                                           
    Ign Index of / maverick Release.gpg                                                                                                                     
    Ign Index of /ubuntu maverick/main Translation-en                                                                                                     
    Ign Index of /ubuntu maverick/main Translation-en_IN                                                                                                  
    Hit Index of / lucid Release.gpg                                                                                                                        
    Ign Index of / **DISTRIBUTION** Release.gpg                                                                                                             
    Ign Index of /rabbitvcs/ppa/ubuntu **DISTRIBUTION**/main Translation-en                                                                               
    Hit http://dl.google.com stable/main i386 Packages                                                                                                                    
    Hit The Opera .deb Repository stable Release.gpg                                                                                                                           
    Ign Index of /opera stable/non-free Translation-en                                                                                                        
    Ign Index of /opera stable/non-free Translation-en_IN                                                                               
    Ign Ubuntu security notices | Ubuntu maverick-security Release                                                                                                              
    Ign Index of /ubuntu maverick-updates/main Translation-en                                                                                         
    Ign Index of /ubuntu maverick-updates/main Translation-en_IN                                                                              
    Ign Index of /ubuntu maverick-updates/multiverse Translation-en                                                                           
    Ign Index of /ubuntu maverick-updates/multiverse Translation-en_IN                                                                        
    Ign Index of /ubuntu maverick-updates/restricted Translation-en                                                                           
    Ign Index of /ubuntu maverick-updates/restricted Translation-en_IN                                                                                
    Ign Index of /ubuntu maverick-updates/universe Translation-en                                                                                     
    Ign Index of /ubuntu maverick-updates/universe Translation-en_IN                                                                          
    Hit Index of / maverick Release                                                                                                             
    Ign Index of /rabbitvcs/ppa/ubuntu **DISTRIBUTION**/main Translation-en_IN                                                                            
    Ign Index of /rabbitvcs/ppa/ubuntu maverick/main Translation-en                                                                                       
    Ign Index of /rabbitvcs/ppa/ubuntu maverick/main Translation-en_IN                                                                                    
    Ign Index of /shutter/ppa/ubuntu maverick/main Translation-en                                                                                 
    Ign Index of /shutter/ppa/ubuntu maverick/main Translation-en_IN                                                                              
    Ign Index of / maverick Release                                                                                                                         
    Hit Index of / lucid Release                                                                                                                            
    Hit The Opera .deb Repository stable Release                                                                                                                               
    Ign Ubuntu security notices | Ubuntu maverick-security/main Sources/DiffIndex                                                                                               
    Ign Index of / maverick Release                                                                                                             
    Ign Index of / **DISTRIBUTION** Release                                                                                                         
    Ign Index of / maverick/main Sources/DiffIndex                                                                                                          
    Hit Index of / maverick/partner Sources                                                                                                             
    Ign The Opera .deb Repository stable/non-free i386 Packages                                                                                                       
    Ign Ubuntu security notices | Ubuntu maverick-security/restricted Sources/DiffIndex                                                          
    Ign Ubuntu security notices | Ubuntu maverick-security/universe Sources/DiffIndex                                                            
    Ign Ubuntu security notices | Ubuntu maverick-security/multiverse Sources/DiffIndex                                                          
    Ign Ubuntu security notices | Ubuntu maverick-security/main i386 Packages/DiffIndex                                                          
    Ign Ubuntu security notices | Ubuntu maverick-security/restricted i386 Packages/DiffIndex                                                    
    Ign Ubuntu security notices | Ubuntu maverick-security/universe i386 Packages/DiffIndex                                                      
    Ign Ubuntu security notices | Ubuntu maverick-security/multiverse i386 Packages/DiffIndex                                                    
    Ign Index of / maverick-updates Release                                                                                                    
    Hit Index of / maverick/partner i386 Packages                                                                                                       
    Ign Index of / maverick/main i386 Packages/DiffIndex                                                                                           
    Hit http://repos.zend.com server Release.gpg                                                                                                                 
    Ign Index of /zend-server/deb server/non-free Translation-en                                        
    Ign Index of /zend-server/deb server/non-free Translation-en_IN                                                           
    Ign Ubuntu security notices | Ubuntu maverick-security/main Sources                                                                          
    Ign Ubuntu security notices | Ubuntu maverick-security/restricted Sources                                              
    Ign Ubuntu security notices | Ubuntu maverick-security/universe Sources                                                
    Ign Ubuntu security notices | Ubuntu maverick-security/multiverse Sources                                                                    
    Ign Ubuntu security notices | Ubuntu maverick-security/main i386 Packages                                                                    
    Ign Ubuntu security notices | Ubuntu maverick-security/restricted i386 Packages                                        
    Ign The Opera .deb Repository stable/non-free i386 Packages                                                           
    Ign Index of / maverick/main Sources/DiffIndex                                                 
    Hit Index of / lucid/main Sources                                                                  
    Ign Index of / **DISTRIBUTION**/main i386 Packages                                                                       
    Ign Index of / maverick/main Sources                                                                                     
    Ign Ubuntu security notices | Ubuntu maverick-security/universe i386 Packages                                                                
    Ign Ubuntu security notices | Ubuntu maverick-security/multiverse i386 Packages                                        
    Ign Ubuntu security notices | Ubuntu maverick-security/main Sources                                                    
    Ign Ubuntu security notices | Ubuntu maverick-security/restricted Sources                                              
    Ign Ubuntu security notices | Ubuntu maverick-security/universe Sources                                                
    Ign Ubuntu security notices | Ubuntu maverick-security/multiverse Sources                                              
    Hit The Opera .deb Repository stable/non-free i386 Packages                                                           
    Ign Index of / maverick/restricted Sources/DiffIndex                                           
    Ign Index of / maverick/universe Sources/DiffIndex                                             
    Ign Index of / maverick/multiverse Sources/DiffIndex                     
    Ign Index of / maverick/main i386 Packages/DiffIndex                     
    Ign Index of / maverick/restricted i386 Packages/DiffIndex               
    Ign Index of / maverick/universe i386 Packages/DiffIndex                                       
    Ign Index of / maverick/multiverse i386 Packages/DiffIndex                                     
    Hit http://repos.zend.com server Release                                                   
    Hit Index of / maverick/main Sources                                                             
    Hit Index of / maverick/main i386 Packages                                   
    Ign Index of / maverick/main i386 Packages                                                         
    Ign Ubuntu security notices | Ubuntu maverick-security/main i386 Packages                                              
    Ign Ubuntu security notices | Ubuntu maverick-security/restricted i386 Packages                  
    Ign Ubuntu security notices | Ubuntu maverick-security/universe i386 Packages                    
    Ign Ubuntu security notices | Ubuntu maverick-security/multiverse i386 Packages                  
    Err Ubuntu security notices | Ubuntu maverick-security/main Sources                              
      404  Not Found [IP: 91.189.92.190 80]
    Err Ubuntu security notices | Ubuntu maverick-security/restricted Sources                        
    Ign Index of / maverick-updates/main Sources/DiffIndex                   
    Ign Index of / maverick-updates/restricted Sources/DiffIndex             
    Ign Index of / maverick-updates/universe Sources/DiffIndex               
    Ign Index of / maverick-updates/multiverse Sources/DiffIndex             
    Ign Index of / maverick-updates/main i386 Packages/DiffIndex             
    Ign Index of / maverick-updates/restricted i386 Packages/DiffIndex       
    Ign Index of / maverick-updates/universe i386 Packages/DiffIndex         
    Ign Index of / maverick-updates/multiverse i386 Packages/DiffIndex       
    Hit Index of / maverick/main Sources                                         
    Hit Index of / maverick/main i386 Packages                                   
    Err Ubuntu security notices | Ubuntu maverick-security/universe Sources                          
    Hit http://repos.zend.com server/non-free i386 Packages                                                          
    Ign Index of / maverick/restricted Sources                                                     
    Ign Index of / maverick/universe Sources                                 
    Ign Index of / maverick/multiverse Sources         
    Ign Index of / maverick/restricted i386 Packages   
    Ign Index of / maverick/universe i386 Packages     
    Ign Index of / **DISTRIBUTION**/main i386 Packages     
    Err Ubuntu security notices | Ubuntu maverick-security/multiverse Sources  
    Err Ubuntu security notices | Ubuntu maverick-security/main i386 Packages  
    Err Ubuntu security notices | Ubuntu maverick-security/restricted i386 Packages
    Err Ubuntu security notices | Ubuntu maverick-security/universe i386 Packages
    Err Ubuntu security notices | Ubuntu maverick-security/multiverse i386 Packages
    Ign Index of / maverick/multiverse i386 Packages   
    Ign Index of / maverick-updates/main Sources       
    Ign Index of / maverick-updates/restricted Sources 
    Ign Index of / maverick-updates/universe Sources
    Ign Index of / maverick-updates/multiverse Sources
    Ign Index of / maverick-updates/main i386 Packages
    Ign Index of / maverick-updates/restricted i386 Packages
    Ign Index of / maverick-updates/universe i386 Packages
    Ign Index of / maverick-updates/multiverse i386 Packages
    Err Index of / **DISTRIBUTION**/main i386 Packages
      404  Not Found
    Err Index of / maverick/main Sources
      404  Not Found
    Ign Index of / maverick/restricted Sources
    Ign Index of / maverick/universe Sources
    Ign Index of / maverick/multiverse Sources
    Ign Index of / maverick/restricted i386 Packages
    Err Index of / maverick/main i386 Packages
      404  Not Found
    Ign Index of / maverick/universe i386 Packages
    Ign Index of / maverick/multiverse i386 Packages
    Ign Index of / maverick-updates/main Sources
    Ign Index of / maverick-updates/restricted Sources
    Ign Index of / maverick-updates/universe Sources
    Ign Index of / maverick-updates/multiverse Sources
    Ign Index of / maverick-updates/main i386 Packages
    Ign Index of / maverick-updates/restricted i386 Packages
    Ign Index of / maverick-updates/universe i386 Packages
    Ign Index of / maverick-updates/multiverse i386 Packages
    Err Index of / maverick/main Sources
      404  Not Found [IP: 91.189.92.200 80]
    Err Index of / maverick/restricted Sources
    Err Index of / maverick/universe Sources
    Err Index of / maverick/multiverse Sources
    Err Index of / maverick/main i386 Packages
    Err Index of / maverick/restricted i386 Packages
    Err Index of / maverick/universe i386 Packages
    Err Index of / maverick/multiverse i386 Packages
    Err Index of / maverick-updates/main Sources
    Err Index of / maverick-updates/restricted Sources
    Err Index of / maverick-updates/universe Sources
    Err Index of / maverick-updates/multiverse Sources
    Err Index of / maverick-updates/main i386 Packages
    Err Index of / maverick-updates/restricted i386 Packages
    Err Index of / maverick-updates/universe i386 Packages
    Err Index of / maverick-updates/multiverse i386 Packages
    W: Failed to fetch http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/di...rce/Sources.gz  404  Not Found [IP: 91.189.92.190 80]

W: Failed to fetch http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/di...rce/Sources.gz  404  Not Found [IP: 91.189.92.190 80]

W: Failed to fetch http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/di...86/Packages.gz  404  Not Found [IP: 91.189.92.190 80]

W: Failed to fetch http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/di...86/Packages.gz  404  Not Found [IP: 91.189.92.190 80]

W: Failed to fetch http://extras.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dist...rce/Sources.gz  404  Not Found

W: Failed to fetch http://ppa.launchpad.net/rabbitvcs/p...86/Packages.gz  404  Not Found

W: Failed to fetch http://extras.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dist...86/Packages.gz  404  Not Found

W: Failed to fetch http://in.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/...rce/Sources.gz  404  Not Found [IP: 91.189.92.200 80]

W: Failed to fetch http://in.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/...rce/Sources.gz  404  Not Found [IP: 91.189.92.200 80]

W: Failed to fetch http://in.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/...86/Packages.gz  404  Not Found [IP: 91.189.92.200 80]

W: Failed to fetch http://in.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/...86/Packages.gz  404  Not Found [IP: 91.189.92.200 80]

E: Some index files failed to download, they have been ignored, or old ones used instead.

Have any way to upgrade my machine, without updating OS Version??
    Last edited by jayd512; 01-08-2013 at 11:03 PM. Reason: added [code] tags

Well, the problem is that your version has been out of support for about 9 months now. You *should* be getting messages from the update center saying you're out of date and asking you to upgrade. I would advise against it. Distro upgrades are notorious for going horribly wrong. I would suggest that you back up your data and do a fresh install upgrade to something newer.

Just Joined!
    Sad face. Ubuntu 10.04 was my favorite, now it's no suppo' no mo'. Try looking for your machine in Ubuntu Certified to get a recommended distro.

Linux Guru
    Your 404 not found errors are pointing to maverick meerkat repositories which is Ubuntu 10.10 and support for that ended in April, 2012. Support for 10.04 continues until April, 2013. See the link below:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Releases