Find the answer to your Linux question:
This is getting extremely frustrating. I managed to make the server visible and accessible, but for the life of me, I can't figure out how to log out and log ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Angry Samba, Windows 8 and Ubuntu 10.04 Server VPN... log in as another user

This is getting extremely frustrating. I managed to make the server visible and accessible, but for the life of me, I can't figure out how to log out and log in as a different user (from Windows 8 client). It always logs me in with my admin account.

I understand the user name and password must be the same on both machines, so I created another Windows user with said credentials, but it still logs in as admin.

I need full access from my admin account, but limited access for others. Any tips?

*** It's horrible trying to work around Windows' limitations! ***
    Last edited by aomimezura; 01-08-2013 at 09:10 PM.

Just Joined!
    Update: I found out that you apparently have to log out of Windows to log out of the server. The problem I'm having now is that to log in, I have to use my Ubuntu password, and not the password I assigned with smbpasswd. I am struggling to understand how Windows authenticates your credentials...

Just Joined!
    I also found that all Windows computers must have the same work group ("WORKGROUP" for ours). Everything is working now! SOLVED!

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close