Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm using a windows pc trying to access files remotely on my home "server" using filezilla. my ubuntu drive is behind a cisco router. I can access the system through ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

filezilla login

I'm using a windows pc trying to access files remotely on my home "server" using filezilla. my ubuntu drive is behind a cisco router. I can access the system through VNC Viewer remotely and all is working well but I can not access my larger files. I've tried upload accounts etc but all have turned out to be a pain in the ..... I would like to use filezilla to access files on my ubuntu system but can't seem to logon? I have set up the router to redirect to the appropriate IP addy behind to router too by the way. Thanx.

D

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by pimpn View Post
    I'm using a windows pc trying to access files remotely on my home "server" using filezilla. my ubuntu drive is behind a cisco router. I can access the system through VNC Viewer remotely and all is working well but I can not access my larger files. I've tried upload accounts etc but all have turned out to be a pain in the ..... I would like to use filezilla to access files on my ubuntu system but can't seem to logon? I have set up the router to redirect to the appropriate IP addy behind to router too by the way. Thanx.

D
    Anyone have anything on this? Thanx!

Just Joined!
    anything.... am i totally out to lunch on this one? there's gotta be some way to transfer files from a linux machine behinde a router remotely?

I would suggest using telnet to connect to the FTP server and see any raw data that you're getting back. This is a common trick I use when debugging mail servers.

Code:
    guydalziel@webserver:~$ telnet ftp.slackware.com 21
    Trying 140.211.166.134...
    Connected to ftp.slackware.com.
    Escape character is '^]'.
    220----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    220-                      F T P . O S U O S L . O R G
    220-                        Oregon State University
    220-                            Open Source Lab
    220-
    220-     Unauthorized use is prohibited - violators will be prosecuted
    220-
    220-               For more information on our services visit:
    220-                       http://osuosl.org/hosting/
    220-
    220-           We offer these particular files simply because users
    220-       have asked for them.  If you would like another archive offered
    220-          here on this ftp mirror, please ask support@osuosl.org
    220-
    220-      Questions/Comments/Suggestions/Concerns - support@osuosl.org
    220-
    user anonymous
    331 Please specify the password.
    pass
    230 Login successful.
    I think the first thing to do is make sure that you can access the FTP server from the local network. If you can, and you get no data back from your telnet probes, then you should start looking at port forwarding as the main suspect.

Just Joined!
    Is there an FTP server running on the Ubuntu box? If so, check the FTP logs for errors.

Just Joined!
    it"s just Ubuntu 10.10 no FTP server. I have found a temp solution while I'm away at least. G**gle offers a drive that has enough storage to upload large files too which I can do remotely and down load them here.... not a permanent solution but in case some one else has a similar issue give this a try. it's slow but will do until i can get home and get this fixed properly.

Just Joined!
    Now I see that you're trying to connect from Windoze to Ubuntu. Sorry, I missed that. That requires samba to be running on the Linux box. Even though many of the guides and documentation mention a Linux server, samba runs fine on a Linux desktop.

howtogeek.com/howto/ubuntu/install-samba-server-on-ubuntu/
    help.ubuntu.com/10.04/serverguide/samba-fileserver.html
    ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=202605