Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have joined the Linux forums to try and find out about this OS. I currently Have Microsoft Windows XP on my desktop and Microsoft Windows 7 on my Laptop. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Linux Installation for New User

I have joined the Linux forums to try and find out about this OS.
    I currently Have Microsoft Windows XP on my desktop and Microsoft Windows 7 on my Laptop.
    I am in the process of building a new Computer and wish to install Linux but have absolutely No Experience of this system
    I was looking at a Linux Mag and the giveaway disc was Ubuntu 12. Is this an okay Linux system?
    I am fed up with microsoft and if successful with Linux I will probably replace windows with Linux.
    My New Build Computer is for a trial and I am using the components salvaged from from other computers.

Hello and Welcome!
    There is a bit of a learning curve when you first start using Linux, but the same is true whenever you try anything totally new. So long as you keep in mind that things will work differently, you should be fine.
    Ubuntu is a good choice for Linux newcomers. I am not personally fond of Unity, the desktop layout, or DE. But other DEs and layouts are very simple to install.
    Give Ubuntu a shot. And remember that if you don't like it, there are a lot of other distributions available for you to try out.
    If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask. After all, everyone here was a Linux newbie at one point.

Quote Originally Posted by Tikiman View Post
    My New Build Computer is for a trial and I am using the components salvaged from from other computers.
    Ah... the Franken-puter. Always a good time.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Welcome to the world of linux, and to the forums. You can read about different distro's (linux distributions) at distrowatch.com. They have literally hundreds of distro's available, with the top 100 listed in order of number of downloads per day on the right hand side of the page, down a little bit. They have a search function that will let you search by different criteria, such as beginner, based on, etc. When you see a distro you would like to try, click on the download link and download it, then burn it to a cd/dvd as an ISO. You then set your computer in the BIOS to boot from the cd/dvd drive, put the disk in, and restart your computer. This will boot your computer into the linux distro you have burned as a "Live CD/DVD", which just means it is running from the disk instead of the hard drive, which also means that any changes you make are temporary. If you decide you like the distro and want to install it, click on the install button and follow the instructions to install to your hard drive. I made the switch 5 years ago, and have never been sorry.
    Registered Linux user #526930

Linux Guru
    You should check the minimum requirements for Ubuntu is you are using salvaged parts.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/In...emRequirements

Just Joined!
    Many thanks to all who have posted advice and comments all of which I have enjoyed reading and will take all the advice that has been offered.
    I have now checked the requirements for ubuntu and all the components that I have available are way above that required as a minimum.
    All that I am waiting for now is a case to arrive and then I will start the build process.
    PS Bought the mag with Uubuntu Disc and at the moment the content does not make a lot of sense to me but I suppose that I will learn eventually.
    Once again many thanks to all