Find the answer to your Linux question:
This has been driving me crazy for a while now. I've searched and searched and can't seem to find an answer. I compiled from source MySQL5.1.58 on Ubuntu 12.04, it's ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

MySQL Permission issue

This has been driving me crazy for a while now. I've searched and searched and can't seem to find an answer.

I compiled from source MySQL5.1.58 on Ubuntu 12.04, it's a task I was assigned for those of you whose first question is "Why didn't you just apt-get?" I followed the instructions on "MySQL 5.1 Reference Manual :: 2.2 Installing MySQL from Generic Binaries on Unix/Linux". I did a wget from MySQL :: MySQL Product Archives. When I initial run
    Code:
    ./mysqld_safe &
    the first time after compile it works fine and I'm able to run
    Code:
    ./mysql_secure_installation
    But, when I do a reboot and try to run
    Code:
    ./mysqld_safe &
    again, I receive a permission denied to the data folder within the mysql folder. I have tried
    Code:
    ./mysqld_safe --user=mysql &
    and I get the same response. When I do
    Code:
    ls -l
    it shows all folders except for the data folder is owned by root and the data folder is owned by mysql user. I am confused as to why it' not working. Can anyone point me in the right direction.

Just Joined!
    You haven't given very many specifics, so we are forced to make assumptions. If you have to do this a specific way, then we must assume that you are asking for help completing a homework assignment for school. Please see the installation guide at downloads.mysql.com/docs/mysql-installation-excerpt-5.1-en.pdf

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by ThomasMcA View Post
    You haven't given very many specifics, so we are forced to make assumptions. If you have to do this a specific way, then we must assume that you are asking for help completing a homework assignment for school. Please see the installation guide at downloads.mysql.com/docs/mysql-installation-excerpt-5.1-en.pdf
    I obviously looked at the installation guide, I specifically mentioned it in my post.
    I followed the instructions on "MySQL 5.1 Reference Manual :: 2.2 Installing MySQL from Generic Binaries on Unix/Linux"
    I don't know why you felt compelled to post what you have, but I'm 'assuming' it must have just made you feel better about yourself. Usually, what people do instead of 'assume', is ask a question or two if there is uncertainty.

Although, I should have closed this thread already. I found my issues, and it was not in the installation guide. I was having trouble with Apache and PHP5 not playing well with MySQL. I was using apt-get to install Apache and PHP, and compiling MySQL. I instead, I compiled all from source and voila, LAMP harmony.

So, I thank you for posting to remind me to close this thread, but I find what you posted unhelpful, even useless. I suggest in the future either a. keep your assumptions to yourself, or b. post a question if something is unclear.

Yes, I'm a student, no, this was not for school.

See what happens when you assume, you get it all wrong!

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close