Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
It all came about when I enrolled in a Computer Science degree at De Monfort University and quickly realised I needed to have a Linux OS installed on my laptop. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Unhappy Ubuntu Not Working (After Several Failed Fixes)

It all came about when I enrolled in a Computer Science degree at De Monfort University and quickly realised I needed to have a Linux OS installed on my laptop. This would be my first time on Linux. So, I had to dual boot alongside Windows 7, which came with the laptop. Bearing in mind, this is in September and I hadn't the knowledge of what it would be like (how gruelling grub would be.)

So, it comes to December and I've installed a few components such as jEdit, Wireshark, Netkit, Ettercap and others. And the boot starts to increasingly get worse and worse in that I was having to turn on and off the laptop at least a couple of times to achieve a full boot into Ubuntu (Windows never having a problem of booting.) One day it just decides to not boot at all, with the generic blank black screen with the typing prompt. Me, being the inquisitive noob attempts "ls" to which there is no response. With it being Ubuntu 12.04 LTS, I decided to scratch the whole of the two partitions for it ("/" and "swap") and install 12.10 with the same partitions. This time, it takes a mere day for the boot to **** up again and Boot Repair cannot do anything about it.
    The above paragraphs signify where I was at before I made the forum entry, "[ubuntu] Still Not Working!" on the Ubuntu forums.

Yesterday, I posted:

I resized the largest Windows partition by 1GB and then realised it should really be right at the beginning of the Ubuntu partition so shrunk that.

The following URL was what I got when I attempted to install the "/boot" partition as detailed in the link that was given:

paste.ubuntu.com/1531868/

And this is the URL that was given when "Recommended Repair" was done due to the fact that Ubuntu had disappeared from the grub menu:

paste.ubuntu.com/1531923/

It still will not start.
    As stated in the entry, these are my specs:

Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1 (7601.win7sp1_gdr.120830-0333)
    Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
    System Manufacturer: LENOVO
    System Model: IdeaPad Z580
    BIOS: Phoenix BIOS SC-T v2.2
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3210M CPU 2.50GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.5GHz
    Memory: 8192MB RAM
    Available OS Memory: 8056MB RAM
    DirectX Version: DirectX 11

And its partitions:

/dev/sda
    /dev/sda1 DA3A6E723A6E4C17 ntfs
    /dev/sda2 BA766B4C766B0889 ntfs Windows7_OS
    /dev/sda4 ACE8A71BE8A6E336 ntfs LENOVO_PART
    /dev/sda5 bdc5c63a-09b0-4b26-b0c8-ed2b3db32318 ext4
    /dev/sda7 de3ce885-384f-40ea-a255-108192fdb7f2 ext4

Please help!
    Last edited by MikeBah; 01-16-2013 at 06:41 PM.

Just Joined!
    I've had a lot of issues with Ubuntu. So I switched to LinuxMint which has been soo much better.

Nice, what Mint version did you go with?

Just Joined!
    I've progressed over the years to Arch Linux (never look back, maybe Slackware or Gentoo but nothing else!). But what I reference above was Mint 11.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Linux-Sys-Adm View Post
    I've had a lot of issues with Ubuntu. So I switched to LinuxMint which has been soo much better.
    I'm pretty sure there's nothing wrong with the actual OS itself. It could be any Linux distribution.

Linux Guru
    I resized the largest Windows partition by 1GB and then realised it should really be right at the beginning of the Ubuntu partition so shrunk that.
    Resized meaning to shrink the size? or increase the size? What were you going to do with 1GB? What needs to be at the beginning of the Ubuntu partition?
    When you are moving partitions around, it is very easy to create problems for any bootloader.

You might go to the site below and read the instructions, download and run the bootinfoscript and post the output, a results.txt file. It gives a lot more detailed information than you have posted and someone might be able to help. You need to do this from Linux so use the Ubuntu CD.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by yancek View Post
    Resized meaning to shrink the size? or increase the size? What were you going to do with 1GB? What needs to be at the beginning of the Ubuntu partition?
    I shrunk the Windows partition in order to create a "/boot" partition because apparently that would make it easier for it to boot Ubuntu.

The "/boot" partition needed to be within the first 100GB of the hard drive and right at the beginning of the Ubuntu partition.

You might go to the site below and read the instructions, download and run the bootinfoscript and post the output, a results.txt file. It gives a lot more detailed information than you have posted and someone might be able to help. You need to do this from Linux so use the Ubuntu CD.
    What site?

Linux Guru
    What site?
    I did it again! The site below:

Boot Info Script | Free System Administration software downloads at SourceForge.net

I just went to the site and it was down but should be back up soon.
    I've never used a separate boot partition and it isn't really necessary although there are advantages.
    Which bootloader are you planning to use? windows 7? Ubuntu Grub?

Just Joined!
    I've never used a separate boot partition and it isn't really necessary although there are advantages.
    Which bootloader are you planning to use? windows 7? Ubuntu Grub?
    Well, it advises on the official Ubuntu support section to put a "/boot" partition in for HDDs bigger than 100GB. Plus, I was advised to do it by an official Ubuntu member.

When using the Windows bootloader it just directs you to grub anyway so there's no point in that. Yeah, I used EasyBCD.

Linux Guru
    The site at the link I posted is up so you can boot any Linux Live CD/flash drive and go to the site and download and run it. Without more information than you have posted, there isn't really much anyone can do.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast