Find the answer to your Linux question:
I got Ubuntu Studio runnung on a Live USB stick, and right now I am loving this desktop environment, especially with all the packages that come with it, and running ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

What is the difference between these distrubutions?

I got Ubuntu Studio runnung on a Live USB stick, and right now I am loving this desktop environment, especially with all the packages that come with it, and running on Ubuntu. I may be installing this one, but I want to ask the difference between this one and Xbuntu.

Both of these are running on Ubuntu, and both use the Xfce desktop environment. Sense that, what is the difference between them?
    My best guess is nothing other then that Ubuntu Studio already has software that comes with the Distrubution, and nothing else.
    Both of them are 12.04 LTS.

Thanks for answering

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    The difference between Ubuntu, Xubuntu, and Kubuntu is the default window manager installed. Any can run any available window manager. Ubuntu by default installs and runs Compiz (gnome), but you can override that on installation in favor of something like Xfce. Xubuntu installs Xfce by default, and Kubuntu installs KDE. Other than that, they are pretty much the same. FWIW, you can run KDE software on Gnome or Xfce, and vice-versa. I run Gnome on my Scientific Linux system, but I run a LOT of KDE tools that I prefer to the Gnome ones.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

drl
    Saint Paul, MN, USA / CentOS, Debian, Slackware, {Free, Open, Net}BSD, Solaris
    Hi.

At the highest level of difference, the goals or intended uses are different. See Comparison of Linux distributions - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia where the Ubuntus are clustered together in the first table.

Wikipedia is your friend, especially the comparison tables there -- Category:Software comparisons - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Best wishes ... cheers, drl
    Welcome - get the most out of the forum by reading forum basics and guidelines: click here.
    90% of questions can be answered by using man pages, Quick Search, Advanced Search, Google search, Wikipedia.
    We look forward to helping you with the challenge of the other 10%.
    ( Mn, 2.6.n, AMD-64 3000+, ASUS A8V Deluxe, 1 GB, SATA + IDE, Matrox G400 AGP )