Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello all, My issue: trying to install ubuntu 12.10 x86 on dell inspiron 1100 older laptop steps 1.first tried from live cd,live cd boots and runs fine,installed fine,rebooted black screen ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Cannot install ubuntu 12.10 on dell inspiron 1100

Hello all,

My issue:
    trying to install ubuntu 12.10 x86 on dell inspiron 1100 older laptop

steps
    1.first tried from live cd,live cd boots and runs fine,installed fine,rebooted black screen
    2.tried booting to with the nomodeset option selected,no go there,added the nomodeset option to grub did not help
    3.tried installing xubuntu same issue,tried latest from lubuntu using usb installer
    4.works fine and great from live usb,but then after installing same thing just a black screen
    5.installed boot repair and ran it with default options,no help same black screen
    6.tried adding lines i915.modeset=1 or i915.modeset=0 in grub then pushing ctrlx still does nothing
    7.so currently lubuntu is installed and when booting still getting black screen,flash drive is not connected
    8.right now in advanced options running check of file system dont know if it will help though
    9.there is nothing connected to the laptop but a pcmcia wireless card,I have attempted installation with and without the card in but it doesnt matter
    10.xp home was installed and ran fine no problems,I have completely formated this hard drive 4 times now with gparted using ext4 after each failes install attempt
    any help would be greatly appreciated thanks

specs:

Processors Intel®Celeron®4 Processor running at 2.0GHz
    Chipset Intel 845GL
    Memory. Standard:512MB PC2100 DDR SDRAM
    Display14.1" XGA TFT with 1024 x 768 at 16.7 million colours (32-bit colour depth)
    15" XGA TFT with 1024 x 768 at 16.7 million colours (32-bit colour depth)
    Maximum External Resolution (CRT). . . . . 1400 x 1050 (SXGA+) at 60Hz
    Video. Video type –Direct AGP integrated graphics
    Video memory –up to 32MB (with 128MB of system memory) or 64MB (with 256MB or more system memory)
    Audio Audio type –SoundBlaster
    ®emulation AC97
    Audio controller –Sigmatel 9750, two integrated stereo speakers
    Hard Disk Drives 30GB EIDE/ATA-100 hard drives
    PC Card Slot One Type I or one Type II; CardBus support
    Batteries 12-cell 94Whr SMART Lithium-ion
    Keyboard 86-key Europe; key travel: 3mm; key spacing: 19mm
    Pointing DeviceIntegrated touch pad
    Power Supply 90 watts AC adapter
    System Dimensions/Weight* 14.1" LCD 329mm (w) x 275mm (d) x 44.5mm (h), 3.3kg with CD-ROM, Battery and HDD

Linux Guru
    When you boot, do you see a grub rescue prompt or just a black screen? with a blinking cursor? I doubt Ubuntu would work with 512MB of RAM but I would think Lubuntu might.

From the release notes,

System Requirements

The minimum memory requirement for Ubuntu 12.10 is 768 MB of memory and 5 GB of disk space for Ubuntu Desktop. Note that some of your system's memory may be unavailable due to being used by the graphics card. If your computer has only the minimum amount of memory, the installation process will take longer than normal; however, it will complete successfully, and the system will perform adequately once installed.

You should try Lubuntu or Xubuntu, they require less ram.
    Registered Linux user #526930

Just Joined!
    Finally got this fixed thanks guys it was simple in the end found it on another forum
    instead of the i915.nomodeset=0 I added this to grub i915.blacklist=1 worked like a charm after that,rebooted at least 10 times to be sure,have updated and been using fine now for days thanks for all the help guys.

Just Joined!

Please tell me how.

Quote Originally Posted by kaztenburg View Post
    Finally got this fixed thanks guys it was simple in the end found it on another forum
    instead of the i915.nomodeset=0 I added this to grub i915.blacklist=1 worked like a charm after that,rebooted at least 10 times to be sure,have updated and been using fine now for days thanks for all the help guys.
    I am new to linux and had the exact same problem as kaztenburg. I also have a dell inspiron 1100 (1 gb ram). I have no idea how add i915.blacklist=1 to grub. Please be detailed I have no clue.

Linux Engineer
    Boot into rescue mode from install/live cd and run the steps from #8 from this thread:
    https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu...uestion/217767