Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I use UBUNTU 9.1 from a live CD, but because I have only 512 MB of RAM I find the OpenOffice word processor difficult to use. I have downloaded ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Ubuntu 9.10 live CD + Abiword

Hi,

I use UBUNTU 9.1 from a live CD, but because I have only 512 MB of RAM I find the OpenOffice word processor difficult to use.

I have downloaded Abiword to a pendrive (this pendrive contains another OS and other files). I have extrcted the files into a folder and note there is an installation file.

My questuion is:Must I install abiword to the pendrive in order to use it?

Can I just run it from the LiveCD?

If I must install it, can I install it to the pendrive? If so, can it be uninstalled in necessary?

The machine I am using had VISATA installed, but this no longer works. Hence my only OS is the LiveCD.

Thanks

Linux Guru
    Is there any reason you can't use the OS on the pendrive you referred to but declined to identify?
    You won't be able to install Abiword to the Live CD as it is a read-only filesystem so you would have to install it to the pendrive. I'm not familiar with Abiword so I don't know if it will work that way. If you are running from a Live CD, you would need to create a mount point and mount the partition with the software on it at each reboot. Do you not have any hard drive? Can you not use the pendrive rather than a Live CD? Have you tried other distributions which require less RAM?

I'm not really sure if I'm reading your problem correctly?

oz
    forum.guy
    I don't know if it will help, but take a look at the following webpage:

http://portablelinuxapps.org/

Abiword is one of the portable apps that can be found on the first link of that page. I'm thinking you can probably add it to your pen drive and be good to go.

I've been thinking of trying it out myself, but have never gotten around to it, so I'd be interested in hearing if it works out for you and meets your needs.
    oz

oz
    forum.guy
    In addition to the above, if a liveCD works best for you, I'm pretty sure Abiword is included with some of the Puppy Linux liveCD releases. You can check out Puppy Linux here:

Puppy Linux Community Home - Getting Started
    oz

oz
    forum.guy
    Out of curiosity, I downloaded Puppy 5.4 Slacko for the first time, burned it to disk, and booted it, and it does indeed come with AbiWord. There are instructions for converting the liveCD install to a USB flash drive if that's what you need.

Hopefully, this will be an option worthy of your consideration.
    oz

Just Joined!
    OZ, Thanks for responding.

I have downloaded abiword (portable) from the site that you recommended.

I can't get it to run from the pendrive!

The file is executable

The permissions will not change.

I tried to run the file by clicking using open through the UBUNTU 9.1 live CD

Any suggestions

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by anon_private View Post
    I have downloaded abiword (portable) from the site that you recommended.

I can't get it to run from the pendrive!

The file is executable

The permissions will not change.

I tried to run the file by clicking using open through the UBUNTU 9.1 live CD

Any suggestions
    Sorry, but I've never tried any of the portable apps, and only knew they were out there and available to download, so that leaves me not knowing much about them. If I can a chance later today, I'll try download it and see what it does on my end. In the interim, maybe someone who has used them will chime in with some help. As noted above, I did download puppy linux yesterday, and abiword worked great on it.

Edit: also, you might take a look at the following thread to see if it offers any help:

http://portablelinuxapps.org/forum/v....php?f=2&t=291
    Last edited by oz; 01-22-2013 at 02:10 PM.
    oz