Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello. I have a Samsung Galaxy Y Pro (Model GT-B5510L) and would like to check the possibility of installing on it an Ubuntu Distro. I have posted a thread on ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

Question Installing Ubuntu natively on Android Phone?

Hello. I have a Samsung Galaxy Y Pro (Model GT-B5510L) and would like to check the possibility of installing on it an Ubuntu Distro. I have posted a thread on ubuntu forums.org and another one on andriod forums. I cannot post its links as I'm a new member, but you can search for "Would buy a new smartphone to install ubuntu" on first forum mentioned and "Running Ubuntu natively on Y-Pro" on second one. My username is ivotkl on all three forums.

I would like to know if you could refer me to some good working guide. I know nothing about rooting phones or installing other ROMs (apparently, that's how OSs are called in android forums).

Also, would you be able to tell me when is Ubuntu Phone coming out worldwide?

Any help would be highly appreciated. In case rooting a phone is illegal, I deeply apologise for posting a thread asking for help about that topic as it would violater Forum Rules.

Hello and Welcome.
    This link will tell you how to root that phone and if you check the 2nd link you might find a ROM for it also.
    How to root and unroot Samsung Galaxy Y: Tutorial
    Android Forums & Windows Phone Discussion @ xda-developers
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Just Joined!
    Also check this out: ubuntu.com/devices/android

Signup to be notified.

Linux Newbie
    Thank you both for the reply.

Mike: Regarding links posted, I will read them once I gather enough courage and read everything carefully.

Linux-Sys-Adm: I was already awared about that webpage, however. It is intended for handset makers and phone service companies.