Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello everyone, I'm new here. I've been researching many forums for an answer but I have not found anything that will help me. I am trying to install (at this ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Install hangs at 'Who are You'

Hello everyone, I'm new here. I've been researching many forums for an answer but I have not found anything that will help me. I am trying to install (at this point - any) linux OS that is compatible with my Acer AO150 Aspire. I have 2gb ram, Intel Atom N70 1.60ghz processor, 160gb HDD and Intel GMA 950 Dynamic Video Memory. I formerly ran WinXP. I am trying to create a clean install.

The problem is that my installation hangs - mostly at the last screen after all files are copied - read on, lol...

I started with Zorin 5.2 Core, then Zorin 6.1 Lite, then Xubantu 12.04.1, then Peppermint 3. All installs will complete copying the files and hang at the 'Who Are You' screen. I have tried the following after reading several other posts with similar issues (FWIW):

At the 'Who are you?' screen, the 'Continue' button is always grayed out. I have read that some people claim to enter the username and computer name quickly enough to access the continue button 'before it grayed out' but I have never had this option.

I have used only lowercase letters with no spaces when entering computer name/username.

I set the Bios to boot Network first. (After setting to boot USB priority and after setting to boot Main HDD priority)

I ran through each distro install with a wireless connection and then again without a wireless connection.

I have tried installing with multiple flash drives, even an SD card out of desperation. (I do not have an optical drive).

I have downloaded each distro multiple times and re-created the bootable USB multiple times.

I have used unetbootin and Universal USB Installer software for windows (the machine I use to create the USB is a Win7 machine).

I have checked the downloaded distro files with md5sum and results have always matched.

I have been able to successfully do a live boot with each distro, establishing the fact that I can in fact run them on the Acer.

Something interesting:
    Directly after the 'Wireless' screen, regardless if I establish a connection or not, a new screen is created leaving the Wireless screen as inactive and the new screen as active where I can continue on through to the 'who are you' screen. I'm not sure if this is normal...

Does anyone have any ideas? Thank you in advance!

Just Joined!
    Seems to be a hardware issue, its better you check the architecture of you machine and download the appropiate version for your machine. also i386 architecture will do in most of the cases. I would suggest two things for the start. befoure downloading, check the architecture and after downloading the image first check the checksum of image, then proceed.

Just Joined!
    I have a 32 bit machine for which I have attempted to install the proper architecture linux versions. If it was a hardware issue, would I be able to boot live successfully?

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by rebeccabee View Post
    I have a 32 bit machine for which I have attempted to install the proper architecture linux versions. If it was a hardware issue, would I be able to boot live successfully?
    My answer to your question wil be "NO".
    But then hanging of installation is more of an harware issue then a software issue. and because you have tried with more then one distro and with more then one iso, i am again sure that this is a hardware/ architechture/ checksum issue. i suppose you already have an OS on this PC/laptop, check its architechture. and pl also mention the iso dump you are using to install the OS. if possible even consider installing the OS from same media on to other computers.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by nileshkumar View Post
    My answer to your question wil be "NO".
    But then hanging of installation is more of an harware issue then a software issue. and because you have tried with more then one distro and with more then one iso, i am again sure that this is a hardware/ architechture/ checksum issue. i suppose you already have an OS on this PC/laptop, check its architechture. and pl also mention the iso dump you are using to install the OS. if possible even consider installing the OS from same media on to other computers.
    I just about gave up on the install since I've been running it flawlessly off the USB for some time now. This is why I can't understand that it would be a hardware issue. My laptop was shipped with the option of Linux or xp. The only problem is that I can't access my 160 gb HDD while running off the usb. I can only use the flash drive so I really do need to install something.

I was originally installing Zorin as a clean install so no, I do not have a working OS currently. My previous OS did not allow partitions

I'm not sure what you mean by USB dump but I mentioned above that I used both unetbootin and Universal USB software to create the image on the flash drive. Could you be more specific about checking the architecture? Beyond 32 bit vs 64 bit, I'm not sure what to look at.

Just Joined!
    First its not USB dump its ISO Sump. means the ISO file you have downloaded. Next their are i396, amd64 and ia64 architectures available for download, i396 is for 32 bit machines (but easilly installs on 64 bit processors also). amd64 (or amd86_64) processors are the processore architecture currently supported by both AMD and Intel. ia64 was itanium based processors which were also launched by Intel.
    Now coming onto to original discussion, i am not too familiar with Zorin, so i would suggest to try ubuntu (12.04 LTS version), as per you laptop arch. and second thing is that, all the latest PC/laptops comes with bios setting, which sometimes prevent old windows OS (like XP) from being installed. I don't remember the exact parameter, and would suggest google it, that may also be the case why installation hangs on.