Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Could you post your machine's specs? Do you have Nvidia or ATI Graphics Card?...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Could you post your machine's specs? Do you have Nvidia or ATI Graphics Card?
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!
    Hi everyone,
    wanted to say that I got my Desktop back. Really relieved. These r the steps followed :

1)First I connected my laptop to the internet device with ethernet cable. Then type
    Code:
    ifconfig
    and you'll see that eth0 is functioning. How did I get to knw that -- RX packets and TX packets were giving NON ZERO numbers, and giving IP addresses. This was a signal to :wired internet connection is available.

2)Now to enable the internet, I had to open a file and do some changes. So this is what I did : Type :
    Code:
    sudo gedit/etc/network/interfaces
    . Then in that file, added the following lines :
    Code:
    auto eth0
    iface eth0 inet dhcp
    . Then run :
    Code:
    sudo /etc/init.d/networking restart
    . Then to see if internet was working fine or not. I typed :
    Code:
    ~$ firefox
    . After that webpage opened and the internet was working fine. I was so happy at this moment, but still had to solve the real problem of fixing my Desktop.

3)Then executed the following commands :
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
    sudo apt-get install ubuntu-desktop
    sudo apt-get install --reinstall ubuntu-desktop
    . Then came out of the terminal, and logged in again and WALA --- My DESKTOP was BACK. I was just toooo happy at this moment.

4) Now the next thing that I wanted to fix was the wifi (wireless internet connection). So for that first of all detached the ethernet cable.
    Then opened a file, by typing :
    Code:
    sudo gedit/etc/network/interfaces
    . And deleted the previous 2 liness that I added :
    Code:
    auto eth0
    iface eth0 inet dhcp
    . Made sure that only these 2 lines r present :
    Code:
    auto lo
    iface lo inet loopback
    . Then restarted the network manager by typing :
    Code:
    sudo service network-manager restart
    . And then, the symbol of wifi was coming on the panel.Clicked on the wifi connection that I wanted, and that was it. Even my wifi was now working.

So everything is back to normal. But during this trouble I learned a lot. And am really thankful to the ubuntu and linux forums to be there, without w/c I couldn't have solve the problem at all. All the above commands and procedures, I got it from the forums, through different threads posting their problems. Internet is just amazing, makes the world come to one place and share their ideas and a great help.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2